Author Topic: 58 cal accuracy  (Read 2636 times)

Offline hortonstn

58 cal accuracy
« on: June 17, 2019, 03:08:02 AM »
Is a 58 cal an accurate target cal for a woodswalk
Thanks
Paul

Offline Semisane

Re: 58 cal accuracy
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 03:22:53 AM »
Probably.  8)

My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 04:20:43 AM »
Well, I cant say for sure, because along with not being a big fan of Hawken rifles, I’m not a big fan of .54 calibers either. however, I was a witness to a big argument between a friend of mine, and Bill Large, over the proper caliber for long range shooting. My friend wanted Bill to build him a .54 cal. and Bill said a .58 was inherently more accurate at long range than a .54. My friend told Bill to build it in .54, and Bill told him to find another barrel maker.

Hungry Horse

Offline nemovir

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 05:17:53 AM »
Well, I cant say for sure, because along with not being a big fan of Hawken rifles, I’m not a big fan of .54 calibers either. however, I was a witness to a big argument between a friend of mine, and Bill Large, over the proper caliber for long range shooting. My friend wanted Bill to build him a .54 cal. and Bill said a .58 was inherently more accurate at long range than a .54. My friend told Bill to build it in .54, and Bill told him to find another barrel maker.

Hungry Horse

Sheeesh, what happened to the customer is always right?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 06:27:43 AM »
In the case above, Mr. Large was right, and the customer was not a good listener.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 06:39:12 AM »

Hungry Horse

Sheeesh, what happened to the customer is always right?

Methinks the fellow don't qualify as a customer when the maker doesn't take his order.  Some outfits are more flexible than others. No one should do work he doesn't believe in, especially when his name is attached.

Hold to the Wind

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 02:20:37 PM »
Probably.  8)

Too bad you pulled on that last shot on the right!
Sheesh! Not bad! To say the least.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 04:21:57 PM »
Back in the "day" when I was shooting in local matches I used the first 58 caliber barrel
Bill Large made after he got his big shop operational. It was a light offhand gun with a
one inch octagon barrel with a turn in 44 inch twist.A tightly patched .575 round ball
and 65 grains of DuPont or Curtis&Harvey's 3fg made it a winner and got me put on
the sideline at one local shoot.It defied their traditions of long barreled,small bore rifles
and THAT was blasphemy in their way of thinking.Also won a nice turkey with it at
Friendship in November of 1958.I also loaned it to a friend who set some sort of offhand
record score with it earlier that same year.

Bob Roller

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 07:39:17 PM »
It’s obvious that todays barrel makers, parts manufacturers, and gun builders,  have a different relationship than was common some years ago. Bill Large was a master at making superior quality barrels, but he didn’t always take kindly to somebody trying to tell him his business. I found the same was true to a lesser degree with Turner Kirkland, although Turner was a little more easy going, you sure weren’t going to push him anywhere.

Hungry Horse

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 04:31:06 AM »
Is a 58 cal an accurate target cal for a woodswalk
Thanks
Paul

57 and 59 caliber are tack drivers, 58 gives horrible accuracy!  ;)

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 05:32:30 AM »
That 58 might shoot better if you use 59 cal balls.  ;D

Offline flinter49

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 04:25:38 PM »
I have A Bill Large 54 Cal. and a Douglas 58  and both are excellent shooters. But, if I take either to a match by the end of the day I'm helping them recoil. In other words I develop a flinch.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 08:02:26 PM »
The larger the bore size, the better the potential accuracy, all else being equal.  That is why the .69 calibre very heavy, as in 50 pound bench guns beat the .54 bench guns.

The same 'rule' applies with light 'hunting-type' guns as well, as long as the shooter can handle the 'extra' recoil. That in itself can be THE deciding factor.

Thus, a .58 has greater potential accuracy than a .54.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 12:48:23 AM »
I’m a big fan of the .58. Accurate enough to cover 5 shots with a .50 cent piece at 50 yards. I hunt in the hollers and hills so that’s plenty enough. My first BP gun was an original ‘53 Enfield Barnett contract, which was recently replaced by a Brooks English shorty .58. Nothing lays the wood to a big 200lb TN 10 pointer like a .58. YMMV.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 01:02:55 AM by Bhmack »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2019, 10:50:24 PM »
Bob;

Our ancestors might have known each other. My Mom’s family on both sides got a free one way trip to the new world, and ended up in western North Carolina, and the New Acquisition area of South Carolina. They became rebels to repay the kings kind gesture, and were so comfortable being rebels, they continued when the North and South separated.

Hungry Horse

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2019, 12:38:59 AM »
Bob;

Our ancestors might have known each other. My Mom’s family on both sides got a free one way trip to the new world, and ended up in western North Carolina, and the New Acquisition area of South Carolina. They became rebels to repay the kings kind gesture, and were so comfortable being rebels, they continued when the North and South separated.

Hungry Horse

Could be. My people were McBrydes from Campbelltown on the Kintyre Peninsula in Argyll and were Transported to Cape Fear where they went up river, founded the Scottish settlement of Campbelltown which is now Fayetteville. Most are in that area to this day. Some went to South Carolina c1785. My line went across the border to Early County Georgia when that land opened up and on to Texas after the CW.