Author Topic: Rod England Alex Henry Target Rifle Kit - Parts Set Review  (Read 7223 times)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Rod England Alex Henry Target Rifle Kit - Parts Set Review
« on: June 29, 2019, 08:04:15 AM »
During the Spring Shoot at Friendship I was fortunate enough to have a a couple of friends let me shoot their long range ML's at 500 yards, and it was a truly exhilarating experience!  One of the guys was Art Fleener, who goes by Snapper on this forum, who was shooting his Don Brown Alexander Henry built by TOF who also posts here.  I quite jazzed by the experience and as I later walked past one of the sheds in vendor row I spotted Rod England who had his personal A. Henry rifle on display as well as a target rifle kit with a couple of different stocks. 

Rod purchased the A. Henry tooling and such from Don's estate after his passing and is now producing a series of rifle kits.  Advances in technology has allowed him to make some improvements to the already very nice Brown parts, such as the barrels being CNC'ed in a vertical mill to assure a perfectly centered bore, improved finish on the barrels and a very fine lock.  I was so impressed by the kit and my luck of happening upon it I purchased it in short order.  :) The kit I purchased is one of his "Match Rifle Gun Makers's" kits, which has fewer completed operations done by him than featured with his regular kit, specifically marketed for gun builders. It is available at a significantly lower price than the standard kits.  He also offers standard kits in a Sporting/Target rifle, Stalking rifle and Full Match configurations as well as all the parts individually.  Stocks are offered in English or American walnut.

Back to the kit I purchased, I was so pleased with the quality of the parts I thought I would post about them here, along with photos and comments and other information.  The lock features a three screw bridle with the sear on it's own separate pivot.  The screws are made in the traditional British style, and the standing breech and plug are machined and fitted together tightly.  The barrel is a large, heavy work of art.  The kit included a full size laminated print, and nine pages of tips and instructions as written by Don Brown, all neatly packaged in a sturdy box.  Included were a box for the small parts and cardboard tubes for the barrel, print & instructions.

Anyone interested in such a rifle kit should get in touch with Rod, there is plenty of time to put one together and get it ready for the Creedmor match in Oak Ridge TN this next spring!

Here are some photos of what came in the kit, as well as the optional Alex Henry style sights I purchased from Rod.  He had several different sight sets available, I decided on the traditional A. Henry variety.

Three screw lock, the nicest quality production lock I have ever handled:

Optional Sights:

I will try to scan and add some information provided by Rod on the kits as well as a flyer for the Creedmor Shoot at Oak Ridge TN.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: Rod England Alex Henry Target Rifle Kit - Parts Set Review
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 08:27:42 AM »
Here is the scanned info...  I should add that I have no affiliation with Rod or the Creedmor match, I am just hoping to promote some interest in the sport.   ;)  The best way to contact Rod is probably to call him at the number below, between 7-9pm eastern time.

Thanks for looking, Curtis

Thanks, Curtis
Curtis Allinson
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Gunnermike

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 09:25:33 AM »
Oh excellent!  Now that is a proper match rifle.  This isn't something you see very often and I have spent many hours trying to glean information on Alex Henry rifles.  Looking forward to posts on your progress.  I'll be checking them against information in my copy of the Alexander Henry Rifle Maker by Donald Dallas.

Best wishes on your journey, Mike

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 02:02:49 PM »
Looks superb. He makes the barrels? Caliber and twist?
Andover, Vermont

Offline snapper

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 03:16:23 PM »
I had spent the day helping my two sons and others shoot at 500 yards.  Curtis was just kinda standing there looking at me.  So, I asked if he wanted to try my rifle.  He did not even hesitate.   He shot it a few times and seemed to be enjoying himself, but was not really showing any emotion.  I did not know he was getting hooked.  I was surprised and happy that he bought a kit from Rod.

I did my best to set the hooks in Mark Brier and his son Kenton (if my memory is correct).  Kenton took to it like a duck to water.  Missed his first shot at 500, but nailed the next 3.  That kid had a smile on his face you could not wipe off.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 03:34:48 PM »
Reply for Rich - most LR breech or muzzle loaders are .45 cal w/ a 16 or 18 twist.  Mid range (200-600yd) and long range 800, 900 & 1000yd shooting is awesome!!
Kevin

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 03:36:23 PM »
For more years than I like to think about, these and the plainer than a fence post Southern Mountain Rifles
have been my favorites.I was glad to hear Rod England had obtained the Don Brown Henry rifles and the
only correct breech plug on the market.Rod has asked me to make some locks for this rifle which is the polar*
opposite of Don Brown's attitude toward my locks.I am no longer taking lock orders for ANY lock and if
I decide to make any more of any kind I will post on THIS forum and no other.Most of you know I can make these
Henry locks but currently have no interest beyond what I promised which is 2 cap locks and 3 flintlocks.
Rod is quality oriented and his version of the kit will be as good or maybe better than Don's was.
The long range 451 will probably use a barrel from certified barrel steel and a 1 in 18 twist for bullets of 500
grains or more and possibly Rice which is a good choice.I wish Rod England all possible success with this kit.
Bob Roller
* Don Brown would use my 3 and 4 screw Henry/Rigby locks only for customers who insisted on my version
and was hostile to the idea when I showed him the prototype in Canada in Sept.of 1987 and became a bit
angry when the German team captain ordered 3 kits "Mit der Rollerschloss" as he called it.
The last 3 locks I sent to his shop were for his widow so an order for a Swedish maker could be sent as a
complete order.The Swede said he's cancel the order otherwise.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 03:42:49 PM »
For those who have Muzzle Blasts back to the first one,John Bivins gave Don Brown a
great write up in the February 1987 Edition with one of Don's stalking rifles on the cover.
Bob Roller

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 03:52:49 PM »

I assembled one of Rod's kits and the barrel was made by Rice. Very nice.

Offline snapper

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 03:55:45 PM »
Curtis, you got to get rolling on this rifle so that you can shoot it in March at Oakridge. 

Fleener

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 04:33:21 PM »
Curtis,
Two things jumped out at me while viewing your pictures.  Don used to spot his tangs where the tang screw was to be located.  I didn't see that on yours.  However, I did notice that there is a drill hole in the tang inlet of the stock in the proper location.  Don't know if that is better or worse.....just an observation.  Gonna take some careful inletting to line the trigger post with that hole.  Maybe Rod's inletting is more precise than Don's was.

Didn't know the instructions were included.  The ones I sent you probably just duplicate them.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2019, 05:44:22 PM »
TOF, the instruction you sent me had an extra page or two in them, thanks.  Also I think the print is a little different than yours. 

Rice is making the barrels, very nice quality I must say.

Snapper, you were witnessing my poker face....   8)

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2019, 06:04:38 PM »
Looks like a very high quality parts set very interested in how it turns out :) ;) 8).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2019, 01:00:59 AM »
Rice is making the barrels, very nice quality I must say.
They are very nice now.  I bought the 1st two from the initial run of 10 and they looked like a 78 rpm record.  I've spent hours on them and still have more to do.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2019, 07:15:48 AM »

Rich, I was in a rush this morning and missed the second part of your question.  In his documentation, Rod states that the match barrels are ".451 cal, 7 groove rifling with wide groove and narrow lands with a depth of .003 -.004 in a left hand twist and is working quite well".  35" length, 2" octagon then tapered round to muzzle.  No mention I see as to rate of twist, when I find out for sure I can let you know.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2019, 03:27:27 PM »
No mention I see as to rate of twist,
They are 1 in 18.
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2019, 03:48:50 PM »
In 2001 I started one of these rifles as a "from the plank" project and the black walnut
I had was no good but I had a GM barrel breeched with Don Brown's breech,a 4 screw lock
I made and an elegant trigger guard and butt plate from TOW.I made the long range tang sight
very similar to the one shown and a modified 17A with Lee Shaver inserts and a base I made
with a small level in it.It was windage adjustable.I got a semi finished stalking rifle blank from
Don Brown and finished it in 2003 and it worked well. I used a lubricated bullet and never did
try paper patched but it shot well enough at 500 METERS to win against breech loaders whose
only advantage was faster reloading.These guns are more fun than anything else and lend
themselves to all kinds of experimental loading procedures of which only ONE will be right ;D
Try it,you'll lke it.

Bob Roller

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2019, 04:29:33 PM »
So these are bullet guns, right?  Fast twist, shallow grooves.  Sorry I’m slow on the uptake.  No false muzzle needed to start the bullet?
Andover, Vermont

Offline snapper

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2019, 05:24:52 PM »
Yep, bullet guns.   530 grain conicals, 45 cal.

Fleener

Offline snapper

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2019, 05:26:26 PM »
most do not use a false muzzle.  I have a bore protector that is original to my Rigby and a copy of the Rigby bore protector for my Alex Henry Don Brown rifles.

Fleener

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2019, 07:49:24 PM »
So these are bullet guns, right?
Rich,
The full blown target rifles are.  He also sells a stalking rifle and a sporting rifle.  I never bothered to ask about the barrels for them.  Perhaps if there is enough interest, he might consider a round ball twist for those.
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2019, 08:36:29 PM »
So these are bullet guns, right?
Rich,
The full blown target rifles are.  He also sells a stalking rifle and a sporting rifle.  I never bothered to ask about the barrels for them.  Perhaps if there is enough interest, he might consider a round ball twist for those.

Don Brown offered these rifles in round ball as well as bullet barrels.The German team
captain I mentioned earlier ordered round ball barrels because in Germany at that time
there were no long rifle ranges.Helmut Mohr told me that a club with a 50 yard range was a
luxury due to land restrictions.After the reunification of East and West Germany it may be better
now.It also explained the popularity of 31 and 33 caliber pistols.
The bullet models with a .450-458* barrel use a bullet that is LAND diameter and some shooters
let the weight of the loading rod push the bullet down to the powder and then a couple of taps
to make sure it's seated.That's what I did with my original Henry barreled Whitworth semi
military match rifle and I got fine accuracy. I used a lubricated bullet,Lyman 451112** as cast
and 485 grains over 75 grains of DuPont 3fg.I used the same bullet on the GM barreled rifle
I built and I had to apply slight pressure to seat that bullet.I think most shooters today use
a paper patched bullet of over 500 grains.These "Thousand yard specials" are a thing unto themselves
and represent the ultimate in muzzle loaders as well as their conclusion after the high quality breech
loaders proved to be at least an equal to the best of Rigby's and Henry's and others to numerous
to mention.
**451112 long discontinued by Lyman but they have (maybe) the 451114 which is close and should do
well at 500 yards or 500 meters.
*450 finished bore diameter and 458 in the grooves.
Rod England;s contact # is 1-864-590-6718 or <rtengland864@aol.com>

Bob Roller

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2019, 06:37:40 AM »
Rich, Rod offers round ball barrels in .40, .45, .50, .54, .58 and .62 calibers.  The round ball barrels can be had with the sporting rifle and the stalking rifle.  The round ball barrels are considerably less than the target rifle barrels.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2019, 01:04:59 AM »
 The rifle in question falls outside the allowable dates for posting on the ALR. So the post is being locked.

Tim C.