Author Topic: Tang and lock bolts  (Read 5081 times)

Offline mark brier

Tang and lock bolts
« on: June 18, 2019, 01:56:43 AM »
As the subject line says, tang bolts and lock bolts. Kinda have reached the point in life of getting tired of making them every time I need one. Who has a good source? I'm glad we have all the supplies and companies that we do providing all of our parts today, but at the same time $2.50 a bolt seems a little bit steep. Or am I out of touch? I looked in McMaster car today and all I found was plated and fully threaded ones. So who's got good sources?
Mark Brier

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Tang and lock bolts
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 02:36:05 AM »
I buy from Chambers or TOTW. $2.50 is a good price these days.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 03:52:28 AM »
  Most of the common tang and lock bolts from Muzzleloaders Builders Supply are $1.75.  I've had real good luck dealing with them. Very helpful.
Kevin

Offline Goo

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 05:09:14 AM »
The lock bolts are most like a "cheese head" fastener but I could only find them available in metric threads.  I got quotes from shops with screw machines but you have to buy a couple thousand to get any lower cost per piece .   Cap head machine screws that could be easily modified only come in all thread for the length and size needed for lock bolts.  In the end I find myself paying the $2.50 each .
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 05:14:30 AM »
I bought a box of unplated 8 X32 by 2 1/2" a while ago from Blacksmith Bolt Supply.  Got 100.  Was looking st their site and could not find these anymore.  Should call and find out if they still have them.  Cost about 20 cents each back in 2013.  Could get carriage bolts and cut the slots - 14 cents each.

www.blacksmithbolt.com

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 01:43:01 PM »
These are not hard to make if you have a lathe.I sometimes furnished them with a new lock
if I happened to think about it. I used 12L14 and hand slotted them to get rid of the obviously machine made look
and on all the recent run of triggers I've been making the screws are made on my old Atlas 618 lathe
with no special tooling.All of the locks I made are made with my own screws.

Bob Roller

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 03:49:37 PM »
At Friendship toward the end of the week I suddenly decided that I might need a few. The only vendor that hadn't pulled out had them for $4.00 apiece....Needless to say, I passed.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 05:32:37 PM »
Log Cabin shop has them, they have them in both 8x32 and 10x32

Offline flehto

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 06:23:49 PM »
TOW has #6-32 and #8-32 lock bolts....the #6-32 is for the front lock bolt  seeing it fits in better. An #8-32 tang bolt also is used from TOW .....The price for these bolts is a minor cost considering the cost of the entire LR. .....Fred

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 06:32:48 PM »
Depending on how many you will use, you can get a better price if you buy in bulk from TOW.  A bulk pack of lock bolts is 50 pieces.  Ask for current prices, then you can make a decision.  I like having a supply on hand, then I have a number of students who help use them up all to soon. 
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 07:28:44 PM »
Brownells has service pack refills of unthreaded blanks in #'s 6, 8, 10, and 12.  They come in packs of 10 and you have to search for them but they are there.  The price is very reasonable.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/small-hardware/metal-screws/blank-screw-kit-prod376.aspx
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Frank

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 07:33:36 PM »
On a custom built gun that is worth several thousand dollars saving two bucks on some bolts doesn’t even enter into the equation.

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 08:17:37 PM »
Maybe I am a cheapskate but if I use 15 bolts a year (5 guns) and I can save $2.00 a bolt (as mentioned above) that's $30 and I have to take notice.  I have to explain the costs of this hobby to the boss and she carries a big rolling pin everywhere she goes.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 11:07:21 PM »
I’d like to make my own but have had no skill/luck making a header. Reason to make own is to thread them only as far as needed.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 12:02:23 AM »
Blacksmith bolt/rivet supply has 3/16" diameter round head "rivets" out to 2" long.  You can make a countersunk header and just beat down the round head for a tang bolt, or you can make a flat header and just pancake it out a bit for a larger diameter - there is a lot of meat to work with.  At 3/16 shank, you can go #8 and remove some material, #10 or do coarse 3/16-24 which is actually fairly common on a lot of old guns.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 12:50:53 AM »
What Eric said works great. I’ve used this method before.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline mark brier

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2019, 01:13:01 AM »
All valid points. Just had sticker shock on the price because of never buying them before. Always forged or used the lathe.
Mark

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2019, 01:48:56 PM »
All valid points. Just had sticker shock on the price because of never buying them before. Always forged or used the lathe.
Mark

What is seen in the price of cross bolts and tang bolts is the same deterioration we
have seen in the value of money.You can now pay what a Lincoln,Cadillac or Packard
car once cost for a riding lawn mower.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 07:55:40 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2019, 02:04:03 PM »
I make them. I bought a little mini lathe which is good for small screws. On side nails, the ones that hold the lock on the stock, I forge them. I had trouble getting enough material for an upset type head so I roll a ring cut just a tad short and forge weld to shaft, (you can get enough heat for this with oxy/acet torch) then head it. That gives plenty of material for a head. $2.50 would be cheaper than my labor involved but I like hand cut slots and correct length threads.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 06:41:18 PM »
Sure you can make them for real cheap.  If you don't consider your time worth anything.
15 cents worth of materials, and an hour of my time......worth way more than $2.50.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 07:06:48 PM »
You’re absolutely correct smallpatch, all depends on what you’re willing to accept as outcome.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2019, 10:08:55 PM »
I didn't see anyone mention R.E Davis as a source for lock bolts.   If I missed it, I apologize.   However,  they sell some large dome head lock bolts that are proper for an early rifle or pistol.   I like them for my rifles that have a Chambers Early Ketland or Colonial lock.  The price is $2.75 ea.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2019, 04:07:58 AM »
All that may be true but $2.50 a screw is still high I don’t care who you are. Even for a $2k rifle. Spread that over $10,000 worth of custom flintlocks and that’s like, what, twenty five bucks plus tax? Screw that.

Edited for a correction in my figuring.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 04:22:31 AM by Bhmack »

Offline mark brier

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2019, 04:36:48 AM »
You are absolutely correct I do have bigger problems in my life, I've tried to leave them downrange but they return most every night mr bptactical... whoever that is.... happy to discuss offline if you would like. As for the rest of everyone thanks for your replies, I was just looking for the best source because reached that point in life where it would be nice to just pick one up and keep working versus stopping and making one.
Mark Brier

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2019, 02:21:38 PM »
As I said earlier on this thread,I use 12L14 and it machines REALLY easy and takes a good thread.
I have used 1018 and modified carriage bolts but that was years ago.Choosing the right material
is the key to this job.There are pictures on this forum of a modified Atlas 6x18 lathe that I make all
of my screws on as well as establishing the width and small bearing on a tumbler.The final dimensions
on that job are finished on another 6x18.The tumblers are also dedicated material which is 1144
Stressproof.It machines like 12L14 and oil hardens like drill rod.Not cheap but RIGHT for this ONE job.
In years long gone I have tried the 1018 and mystery materials with no satisfactory results and have
seen posts about using a drill press and a file to modify bolts into small screws.My current level of
energy and patience will not even consider that idea.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 02:24:58 PM by Bob Roller »