Author Topic: Good day in the shop...  (Read 2506 times)

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Good day in the shop...
« on: June 19, 2019, 04:45:00 AM »
It’s really nice when things work out!  Today I cast a trigger guard from a wood pattern I made (didn’t make that today, lol...). 

After that it was on to finishing this carving I had stabbed in yesterday.

Most days aren’t that productive for me!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Good day in the shop...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 04:54:56 AM »
Love it!

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 05:31:23 AM »
Very nice, Ed.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 05:55:02 AM »
Kinda shows that it’s not your first rodeo!  Really fun designing your own furniture.
Andover, Vermont

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 07:01:42 AM »
Nice job Ed.  Every once and a while I enjoy doing some sand casting.  Gives you a lot of satisfaction.  Wouldn't want to make a habit of it though.
David

Offline acorn20

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 07:18:08 AM »
Well that turned out rather well, Ed.  Nice job!
Dan Akers

Offline DAV-AZ

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 08:06:02 AM »
Congratulations Ed you got it to work.  Looks great!

Dave V

Online bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 01:38:42 PM »
I would have to agree, you had a very good day in the shop.:-)
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 01:44:49 PM »
Hi Ed,
Wonderful!  I am really fascinated to see you managed a full sized trigger guard with Delft clay.  I noted the way you routed the sprue. You must have melted a lot of brass to keep that much heat.  Great carving.  Your designs are some of the best posted on this forum.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 02:31:32 PM »
David..., it’s a lot more fun when the cast works!  Like you said, wouldn’t want to make a habit of it though.

Dave..., I use petrobond sand for bigger casts like guards.  It’s almost identical to delft, and cheaper.  Yes, a fair amount of brass needs to be used...   Full disclosure on the carving design..., I shamelessly copied the design from an old F. Harrison plan of the Crockett rifle, so can’t take credit for that.

Best,

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 03:09:18 PM »
Ed,

I love the guard and the carving.  Congratulations!

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 03:10:36 PM »
Ed,
Love that guard and the carving. I am curious about the wooden pattern you made. What type of wood do you use. Would love to see a photo of it. I have always been intrigued with sand casting but never got around to trying it. Maybe some day I will have time to give it a go.

Is it feasible to use an original guard as a pattern without damaging or defacing it?
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Randall Steffy

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 03:31:16 PM »
Dennis,
It is quite easy to use an original as a master to recreate or cast a double of existing furniture without any damage to the original. I made many patterns for Reaves that very way. Downside is that unless you build up the original with sheet wax or similar, your end product is most too slim to clean-up and have an acceptable thickness and the length is shorter as well in the reproduction. I recommend sheet wax, .031" thick, which is available with an adhesive on one side. Fill defects or pin holes on the original with modelers clay. The molding process will do no damage to the original if reasonable care is taken. What surprised me was how much twist and minor odd bends are in some originals which must be left untouched to return the original as the owner would rightfully expect. If you want to correct these defects (specifically twist which effects draft) you should make a cast of a non shrinking white metal like Cerrosafe, straighten the white metal reproduction, repair any defects and use that part as your master. I hope that is all clearly stated. Go for it!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 04:03:48 PM »
That's a lot of work for one day!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 05:35:30 PM »
Lovely and neat carving Ed!!!  Nice as it comes.

Great casting too!!

R.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 06:14:54 PM »
Definitely a good day's work!

Sweet little carving.  Not that I can actually remember the carving, but I was lucky enough to handle that Crocket rifle just after Houston had finished it many years ago.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 06:43:02 PM »
The sand casting is great Ed, but the carving is delightful!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Tim

• Just an ordinary Guy from Alabama.
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 06:44:11 PM »
Beautiful workmanship Ed. The carving is beautiful indeed.
May I ask what tools you use to carve the cheek piece?
I’m trying to decide on how to add a bit of simple carving to my
Kibler SMR stock. Something that even a beginning carver could
Pull off with a little practice.
Please keep the photos of this rifle coming as it serves as
Inspiration to us newbies.
Tim

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2019, 08:51:31 PM »
Dennis,
It is quite easy to use an original as a master to recreate or cast a double of existing furniture without any damage to the original. I made many patterns for Reaves that very way. Downside is that unless you build up the original with sheet wax or similar, your end product is most too slim to clean-up and have an acceptable thickness and the length is shorter as well in the reproduction. I recommend sheet wax, .031" thick, which is available with an adhesive on one side. Fill defects or pin holes on the original with modelers clay. The molding process will do no damage to the original if reasonable care is taken. What surprised me was how much twist and minor odd bends are in some originals which must be left untouched to return the original as the owner would rightfully expect. If you want to correct these defects (specifically twist which effects draft) you should make a cast of a non shrinking white metal like Cerrosafe, straighten the white metal reproduction, repair any defects and use that part as your master. I hope that is all clearly stated. Go for it!

Thanks Randall,
Who sells the sheet wax?
Thanks
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 11:32:34 PM »
Jewelry supply houses have it, as well as all kinds of extruded waxes.  For modifying the waxes, a heated exacto blade does the trick, jut don't get it too hot.

The heated knife blade also helps attach sprues and air holes to the wax creation.  They are lots of fun to model things with.  At the supply houses, you can even get electric tools for wax work, otherwise park them close to, but not "in", a candle or lamp flame.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 12:23:44 AM »
Just gorgeous work as usual on that carving Ed.  CRISP.

Looks like you got that guard worked out just right too.  You must have gotten your vents in the right place. 

Looking forward to seeing the completed rifle.

God Bless,   Marc

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2019, 02:10:48 AM »
Would you like to invest in a precision casting setup.  The burout furnice cost about $2000.00--- burns aut 23 flasks at a time or more.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2019, 02:47:23 AM »
Tim..., the cheek piece has a bead formed near the top, done with a beading cutter.  Dembart or similar manufacture.  The groove on the bottom was simply done with a gouge.  Those two elements were then blended together.

Dennis..., what Randall said in regards to using an existing metal guard.  The sheet wax I’ve used was purchased through Freeman Manufacturing & Supply Co., in Avon, Ohio.  (440) 934-1902.  They have a wide selection of adhesive backed sheet wax.
I used maple for the wood patterns.  Here are a couple more photos of the pattern.  This is from the Klette rifle that your friend was so gracious to let me study.  The small pieces of wood are the lugs for the guard.  Another photo of a different  pattern with a mostly cleaned up casting.

Ed Wenger

Offline mountainman

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2019, 05:23:40 AM »
Nice work, that's quite the accomplishments!

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2019, 05:35:48 AM »
Thanks Ed I appreciate it.
Dennis