Author Topic: New Project  (Read 2919 times)

Offline WKevinD

New Project
« on: June 22, 2019, 03:45:30 PM »
I'm working on a new project that I've been thinking about for a while. I have to make the pipes, tighten up the lock panels, shape the forend and fabricate and install the brass ends on the joint. The barrel is a straight tapered 30" .62 rifled (Bob Hoyt), Chambers lock and brass hardware mounted on a nice piece of maple with mild curl.
Kevin

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 03:01:09 AM by Ky-Flinter »
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Vulcan

• Starting Member
Re: New Project
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 05:02:54 PM »
Is that what is called a "take-down rifle"? That'll be a beauty. I really like the lines of this one.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 06:13:12 PM »
Is that what is called a "take-down rifle"? That'll be a beauty. I really like the lines of this one.
Yes it is. It has a hooked breech and when the wedge is removed the barrel tips out with the forestock attached, a friend has an original but with a skelontonized butstock, we call it a poachers gun.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Vulcan

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 06:39:06 PM »
Not to be nosey, but did you profile the stock from a blank or are you working off a 'pre-carved' stock that you then modified? Reason I ask is because I'm going to attempt a build at some point and your rifle is very stylistically attractive.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 11:30:28 PM »
Keep posting photos; I like it.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline will payne

• AKA dead eye/ Coder /Ethical Hacker
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 02:28:09 AM »
I'm working on a new project that I've been thinking about for a while. I have to make the pipes, tighten up the lock panels, shape the forend and fabricate and install the brass ends on the joint. The barrel is a straight tapered 30" .62 rifled (Bob Hoyt), Chambers lock and brass hardware mounted on a nice piece of maple with mild curl.
Kevin

triple a gap insurance
I have never seen that before. Awesome. 8)
🕯
Will

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 04:07:43 PM »
 Gott'a keep an eye out for more Pix, like to see the other side too, looks very interesting. You say the hardware came from Jim?

Thanks, Tim

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 06:59:30 AM »
Tim, Sorry, I meant to say "the lock is by Chambers" and then "it has brass hardware", trigger guard from MBS, butt plate and cast nose cap from TOW.
I've been working on it in the evenings and hay in the daytime (if it's not raining) so I'll get some pictures up soon.
It's coming along nicely and it looks like it wants a violin case or a small coffin shaped box to hold it.
So far the hardest task has been fabricating and installing the angled brass end caps at the joint where the two pieces of the stock come together.
Kevin

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 02:50:30 PM »
 Thanks, I would like to see more of that.

Tim

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 07:06:12 PM »
Thanks, I would like to see more of that.

Tim

The finishes are drying, final assembly will be soon after our heavy humidity lightens up a bit

Kevin

symbol for nitrate

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 07:51:19 PM »
 That is really cool. I haven't built anything in quite awhile this is really interesting. I've got a straight taper 36" .62 Raly barrel sitting here.
 Can't wait to see it finished up.

Thanks, Tim 

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2019, 05:06:51 AM »
I took it out and shot it today, 4" group off hand using a .60 RB and a .018 with 60 gr fffg, Now I can work up a serious load

Kevin

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2019, 06:18:48 AM »
Nice work, Kevin.
I have never before seen one jointed ahead of the entry pipe.

I like the colour of the wood you have there! 

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2019, 02:00:18 PM »
Nice work, Kevin.
I have never before seen one jointed ahead of the entry pipe.

I like the colour of the wood you have there!

Thanks Richard, if I were ever to do another I would extend the forestock to keep the joint behind the entry pipe, making the brass endcaps was a bit involved because of the ramrod channel.
The color is from Ferric Nitrate.
Kevin

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2019, 05:22:40 PM »
Yes, I can see making the brass end-caps would be  a bit more work!  You did a lovely job though.

Richard.

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 06:30:03 PM »

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 09:46:10 PM »
Really nice work. That finish is wonderfully warm. God bless, Marc