Author Topic: Which horn is better?  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Which horn is better?
« on: June 23, 2019, 04:35:07 AM »
I finished another southern banded horn.   This one (Horn 2) is 15" around the outside curve with a base plug a little larger than 2 3/8".   It has one major flaw as far as I am concerned in that I didn't get the base band tight up against the base plug.   I wasn't going to post it here because of that.   However, it got a couple of nice comments on Facebook.   So,  my question is which is better and why?   

Here is the latest horn; the one with the base band a little off.  Let's call it Horn 2.

Here is the first horn I posted, let's call it Horn 1.   

Ok,  so which is the better horn, Horn 1 or Horn 2?   Tell me why.

Thanks,

Mark
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 05:07:52 AM by Mark Elliott »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Which horn is better?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 04:43:39 AM »
I like the first one better. Here is why, when I looked at the second set ofphotos, the first thing I thought was something us wrong but I wasn't sure what until I read your comment about not getting the base band in the right position. Bingo that's it, I assume I have seen enough if these typ horses that my eyes immediately noted something was out of place but I didn't immediately recognize what it was.
Goes to show I am a born traditionalist, expect things to follow an established order :)
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 05:04:12 AM »
Ok,  I am little confused about which horn you liked.   Dennis,  do you like Horn 1 or Horn 2?   It is Horn 2 that has the base band out of place.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 05:08:54 AM by Mark Elliott »

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 06:03:12 AM »
Hi Mark,

I do not think either is "better".  It is a matter of taste. 

I like the finishes on both, and both are recognizable as your finishing style.  The finish looks great and works to highlight the details.

I "prefer" horn number 1.  I like the proportionally slimmer tip, the turned final mushroom, and the extra turned detail on the base ring.  That said, if I saw horn #2 by itself, it would look great. 

Those flower-bud shaped plugs are really a classy touch. 

Was that what you were asking sir?   God Bless,  Marc

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 02:14:28 PM »
Ok,  I am little confused about which horn you liked.   Dennis,  do you like Horn 1 or Horn 2?   It is Horn 2 that has the base band out of place.

Mark
Horn #1, which I thought was the first one you made. When I looked at #2 last night something did not look right. After reading your statement about not getting thr band all the way to the base plug I looked back at the horn and it looked like the base plug was larger than the ring. To me it seemed to have a "hump" at the transition. It may be the the angle of the photo. #1 looks much smoother in that area.  Hope this makes sense.
Dennis
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 02:36:29 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 02:28:08 PM »
I like both but Horn 1 is my favorite becasue I like that type of base plug with a staple to hold the horn strap.  If horn #2 is air tight I would not worry so much about the fit not being perfect.  Rub a little Pine Rosien around the loose fit to seal it..
iloco

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 04:13:18 PM »
I like both but Horn 1 is my favorite becasue I like that type of base plug with a staple to hold the horn strap.  If horn #2 is air tight I would not worry so much about the fit not being perfect.  Rub a little Pine Rosien around the loose fit to seal it..

Both horns are air tight.   The gap in Horn 2 is cosmetic. 

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 11:56:18 PM »
They both look fine to my suspect eyes.  If they're tight it's six of one and half a dozen of another.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 03:08:18 AM »
With Horn 2 the tip doesn't flow well with the rest of the horn - it seems to stick off at a slight angle. Horn 1 is superior in that regard.

I like the base on horn 2 better than that on horn 1.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling