Author Topic: Anyone know of a good replacement for a Davis Twigg cock??  (Read 3082 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Anyone know of a good replacement for a Davis Twigg cock??
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2019, 03:25:21 PM »
There are a couple that draw critique. Several others are great choices in my view. I have 12 locks in the parts bin. The best 2 sparkers are Davis locks. Their bridle-less pan, round faced English trade lock with the cast-in engraving and their colonial Germanic lock out-spark the rest out of the box. Could be luck of the draw and with another dozen assorted locks perhaps everyone’s favorites would out perform the Davis locks.
Ditto. I'd add the late ketland with the square tail to the list of good sparkers from Davis too. The other flint offerings I don't like much.

D. Rase: I have always left a message with Tim and have always got a call back with in a couple days at most. Maybe he just doesn't like you.....

To the OP, there is a big difference in time period between the early and late Ketlands, also depends on the mounts you plan on using. Let us know which trigger guard and buttplate and we can line you up with the correct lock. I'd put the late ketland post 1800....and there is a certain set of mounts and stock style that go with it.. The early Ketland is more of a Rev war period lock and that era of English gun is sensitive to the mounts and stock style too. You can't just use a jumble of various period parts on these. Well, you could, but it's not very interesting when you do that sort of thing.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2019, 07:48:16 PM »
The L&R small Manton with an upgraded mechanism usually is a good sparking lock
when used with the thin amber flints.I have made a number of these over a period
of years and so far no complaints----yet. :)

Bob Roller

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2019, 10:50:50 PM »
There are a couple that draw critique. Several others are great choices in my view. I have 12 locks in the parts bin. The best 2 sparkers are Davis locks. Their bridle-less pan, round faced English trade lock with the cast-in engraving and their colonial Germanic lock out-spark the rest out of the box. Could be luck of the draw and with another dozen assorted locks perhaps everyone’s favorites would out perform the Davis locks.
D. Rase: I have always left a message with Tim and have always got a call back with in a couple days at most. Maybe he just doesn't like you.....
Could be, I am from the left coast.  ::)

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2019, 02:31:07 AM »
Here is a photo or two of the Chambers late Ketland that I modified a bit and added a stalking safety to.

Curtis
  You did a marvelous job on that lock, and the gun in general, Curtis. I'd love to see more pics of it.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2019, 07:51:10 AM »
Thanks Justin!  I haven't had the chance to take good photos of the gun yet, when I do I will post pics either here or on the contemporary maker's blog.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing