Author Topic: John Shuler Rifle  (Read 9172 times)

Berks Liberty

John Shuler Rifle
« on: July 02, 2009, 05:41:57 PM »
I took these photos of a John Shuler Rifle while visiting Ft. Ticonderoga's Museum.  Thought I'd share it here.

Jason

« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 11:05:13 PM by rich pierce »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: John Shuler Rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 05:45:28 PM »
Thanks, I remember seeing that rifle up there years ago if memory serves.  Great rifle.  Did you note if it appears to be a smoothbore?  So many of the Bucks County guns were.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 05:33:28 AM »
Thanks for posting those pics. Saw this rifle when I visited Ticonderoga several years ago, always thought it was a bit out of place there with all the muskets on display.

Berks Liberty

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 07:45:46 AM »
Thanks, I remember seeing that rifle up there years ago if memory serves.  Great rifle.  Did you note if it appears to be a smoothbore?  So many of the Bucks County guns were.

Definately a great rifle.  No it appeared to have rifling in it.  I should have took a photo looking down the muzzle. 

Berks Liberty

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 07:47:24 AM »
Thanks for posting those pics. Saw this rifle when I visited Ticonderoga several years ago, always thought it was a bit out of place there with all the muskets on display.

I agree.  I thought I read some where that there was suppose to be a Leonard Reedy rifle up there but I didn't see one. 

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 10:15:50 PM »
Wasn't one of the Andrew Eaby attributed rifles shown in Shumway RCA 2 also in the Ticonderoga museum at the time?

Funny - the outline of that box surround, especially the finial, brings some of the early Dickert and Haines pieces to mind, at least to me anyway.

Nice piece.  

Guy

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 10:16:25 PM by Guy Montfort »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 10:26:12 PM »
Wasn't one of the Andrew Eaby attributed rifles shown in Shumway RCA 2 also in the Ticonderoga museum at the time?
Guy

yes, I saw it there.  This Shuler is a realk beauty.  More pleasing, to me, than some of the better known Bucks County pieces.
Andover, Vermont