Author Topic: Making Traditional Longrifles with Jack Brooks - Summer Classes for 2019  (Read 929 times)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
I am posting this to help get the word out for Jack, I would highly recommend the classes to anyone interested in the subjects being taught.  A great way to shave a lot of time off that learning curve!

Thanks, Curtis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Making Traditional Longrifles with Jack Brooks

Summer Classes for 2019

I am pleased to announce three rifle making classes which I have scheduled for this summer season.
 These work shop classes will be held in my new classroom-studio at 800 West Oxford Ave, Englewood, Colorado 80110.

July 27 Beginning Engraving Class
     This one day metal engraving class will be held July 27,2019 and will be limited to 6 students.  You will be taught to “engrave in the style and manner of the old masters”.  We will be studying several antique examples of longrifle engraving.  You will also learn to inlay a brass or silver name plate in the top flat of your rifle barrel.  Time will be spent on pattern design, tool sharpening,hammer chasing and hand wriggle engraving. 
                     The cost of the class will $200.  A deposit of $50 will hold a position for you in class.

August 23-24  Making the Wood Patchbox Class
      I will be teaching a traditional and efficient method of making a dovetailed wood patchbox for a flintlock rifle.  You will also learn to make a lid catch spring.  We will be studying an example of an 18th century antique wood patchbox.  At the end of class each student will go home with their own wood box with dovetailed lid and catch.  This 2 day class will be held to six students. 
                    The cost of this two day class will be $400.  A deposit of $50 will hold your place in class.

September 19,20, 21  Making a Brass Patchbox
      Each student will be making a four piece brass patchbox.  We will be studying several examples of antique patch boxes.  You will learn how to make the mechanical catch, release,and kick open spring. The class will be limited to 6 students.
                     The cost of this three day class will be $600.  A deposit of $50 will reserve your space.

Lunch will be provided each day.  Class hours will be 9 AM to 5 PM each day.
I look forward to helping you in the study of tradititional longrifle making.
                                           Sincerely,
                                                            Jack Brooks
                                                             800 West Oxford Ave.
                                                              Englewood, Colorado 80110
                                                              jsbrookslongrifles@gmail.com
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing