Author Topic: What’s the story on this old horn?  (Read 1512 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
What’s the story on this old horn?
« on: June 25, 2019, 03:36:33 PM »
Picked up off eBay a while ago.  It has a turned plug with a furniture pull, which is fastened with domed brass screws to an unshaped, bark left on horn, and for the tip grip, has a steel eyelet screwed into the still-thick tip.

I am thinking the butt plug should be early 1800s but the round topped brass screws, unfinished horn, and eyelet don’t seem to match at all.

Your thoughts on it?  I’ve heard of “kit horns” being sold for owners to finish. Age range of plug?  The rest of it?

Andover, Vermont

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Re: What’s the story on this old horn?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 05:36:15 PM »
Rich, my first gut reaction says "Victorian Era" wall hanger for display.  Egads, round top brass screws to hold the plug.  Using your picture as a basis the lack of sharp details in the 'turned' plug leads me to think maybe this was 'pressed' verse turned.  Another indication is the screw eye on the tip for hanging as a decoration.  Late to middle 1800s.  A lot of interest in powder horns, especially engraved ones, was created as the county approached the Centennial and horns were often used for recreated/decorations/display.   I'm neither right or wrong, just a thought.
Gary

Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 05:43:05 PM »
Gary, egads it right!  Your explanation makes sense. There’s a section in the new big bone tipped horn book on furniture pull horns. I like the plug and pull which were worth the price to me. I confess temptation to finishing the horn as a user. Replace the brass screws with pegs or nailed, scrape it nicely, and make a threaded tip. Of course mark it with my mark.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »
Rich, in my opinion,  your horn is a "Parts Horn" made up from an old base plug.  Some tinkerer had an antique powder horn that had been ravaged by worms and used what was salvageable to make something that would serve his purpose.  The time frame for this update took place using the hardware that was being made and available during the time of this creation. 
Joel Hall

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 08:45:34 PM »
Another observation Rich.  I was beginning to really focus on the horn itself and the relationship with the base plug.  How did this horn get to this bad shape?  Especially area around the base plug.   Two things happen over time, wood swells and shrinks again and again with changes of the seasons.  Likewise does a horn.  Ever a 'blowing' horn sound different, or work well, on damp, rainy weather vs. dry times?   Because of separation of plug to horn causing a few 'gaps' between horn and wood along with the horn delaminating in spots makes me think this was put together using more of a green horn and having hung near a heat source.  Not seeing any visible cracking in the wood plug leads to me it was pretty seasoned to begin with and like Majorjoel noted, a tinkerer used a plug leftover from another source, etc.   Over time, while maybe scraped smooth at the beginning, began to delaminate over time due to hanging near a heat source (fireplace, stove, etc) and took its' toll. 
Of course, alot possibles as to why/how this horn came to be and during what time frame.  Are we having fun yet?
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 08:47:14 PM »
Rich, as I take a better look at the base plug, what may be cracks I took at first to be scratches to the finish, but I will let you chime in on that one.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 10:00:11 PM »
I like Joel’s theory. Now to decide whether to leave it alone, use as-is, revise what’s in hand, or use the plug to make a new horn. All assuming I have time + ambition. I’m no Tim Crosby!  He’d have it sorted out lickety split.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 10:27:27 PM »
 Rather than rewording Joel's post that is how I see it. I do think the Butt was turned though and the pull period to it. Don't think I do anything to it but enjoy it.
 Are there pins holding the Escutcheon in place?

Tim
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 10:37:17 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 10:40:39 PM »
Tim, if the escutcheon is the little round thingy under the ring it can spin a little. The ring is made of rolled sheet. Something Tallbear could do in his sleep probably.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 05:46:32 PM »
 Yes, the plate that the pull goes through, I thought it looked like a pin in it when I enlarged the pic, not that it makes any difference, just wondered.
 Had a another thought, how about a movie prop? Like The Big Sky, Northwest Passage, Sargent York, etc...The tip is not drilled is it and even if it was it looks like the screw eye would block it, look more for strength or the beating it may take in a movie.

Tim