Author Topic: Cleaning Solution Recipie  (Read 5491 times)

Offline Nhgrants

Cleaning Solution Recipie
« on: June 27, 2019, 01:06:57 AM »
Is was watching a you tube video by US Sharp Shooters Civil War Reenactor that gave Recipie for cleaning black powder fouling. Equal parts of peroxide, muphys oil soap and isopropyl alcohol.
Had anyone heard of this?  Anyone use this?

Mainly I only use dawn dish soap and water.  But I was just curious about this Recipie.
Could denatured alcohol be substituted  for isopropyl alcohol?
Thanks

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Cleaning Solution Recipie
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 01:48:13 AM »
I aint found anything that will beat water, tow an maybe a drop or 2 of dawn. Keep it redneck simple
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Online snapper

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 02:10:33 AM »
Yes, been using this for years.   Commonly known as "moose milk"

I dont use it for cleaning any more, just for patch lube.

I have had it lighten up a stock color when it gets on it, so quit cleaning with it.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline redheart

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 02:34:40 AM »
Because it has peroxide in it ,I quit using it.
It's reputed to cause corrosion in your breech plug threads as well as the rest of the bore.
You're going to get quite a few conflicting opinions about it.
IMHO it's best not to use it. ::)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 02:46:23 AM »
NHGrants

In my experience, isopropyl and ethyl alcohols will swap in a recipe-not that i'd use anything but water personally for BP.

Maybe a chemist will clarify and we'll both learn something.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 02:47:51 AM »
I've used it for years with no problems and it works well. Haven't seen any corrosion but it may be my cleaning regiment. Always have followed with WD40, wiped, then Break Free. I would watch out for your stock finish though.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 02:51:26 AM »
No reason to use anything other than tepid water. Remove the lock, put toothpick in the vent hole fill with water. After a couple of minutes remove toothpick while draining. I then run a brass or bronze bore brush up and down a couple of times followed by a couple of turns with a breech scraper. Refill with water and drain. A couple of wet patches followed by dry patches until clean. Let rifle stand upside down for a few minutes to dry, then a final patch soaked in WD-40. Simple, quick, works every time and has since the 70's. Not sure why we keep trying to invent the wheel.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 03:00:38 AM »
Not sure why we keep trying to invent the wheel.

...because Dr. Marvin抯 Magic Miracle Tonic works on headaches, greases your axles, cures Consumption, and cleans your Fowler. All for the low low price of $3.99.

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 03:35:51 AM »
Not sure why we keep trying to invent the wheel.

...because Dr. Marvin抯 Magic Miracle Tonic works on headaches, greases your axles, cures Consumption, and cleans your Fowler. All for the low low price of $3.99.

Also makes birthing babies easy....so I'm told.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 05:18:05 AM »
Carefully mix 1/2 ounce lukewarm water with 1/2 ounce of H2O and you have the perfect formula. (Add a little alcohol if you are outside below freezing.)
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Dave R

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 05:36:57 AM »
Room temp water works GREAT!!

I ruined a barrel years ago using WAY too much Perixoide!!I thought if a 1/3 peroxide worked great more is better!!  :-[ LIVE AND LEARN!

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 06:09:12 AM »
I also use  the three part solution, one 12 oz. glass of cool water followed by one 12 oz. glass of room temp water and finish up with a second 12 oz. glass of room temp. water. Dry with flannel patches and a good dose of WD-40, one dry patch to get excess WD-40 out and have never had a problem.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 03:31:44 AM by smylee grouch »

Offline R.J.Bruce

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 07:25:47 AM »
Some guy on the History Channel from the Smithsonian said that the water in Iowa cleans muzzleloaders better than the water any place else in the USA.

Supposed to be because of the relationship between the location of Mike Brooks's farm and true magnetic North; plus when the Aurora Australis can be viewed in the Outback while consuming large quantities of alcoholic spirits.

He said it was the Gospel Truth!!!

And for only $9.99, plus $32.49 for shipping, handling, and insurance; the fellow will be more than happy to mail you a 2 oz. bottle guaranteed to clean any muzzleloader on the third go 'round!!

Shore 'nuff!!

Anyways, that's what I heard.

R.J.Bruce

rimfire

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 03:08:36 PM »
Take 2  parts Hydrogen and 1 part Oxygen mix them till they turn into a liquid. When not in use keep covered or it will turn back into a vapor,to cold and it will get rock hard. This has been my cleaner for BP since the 60's.  There is no reason to complicate it any further.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 05:40:32 PM by rimfire »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 04:37:29 PM »
Just for starters, re-enactors are the last person you should consult about how to properly clean, or care for your muzzleloader. I attended a large civil war re-enactment in Northern California, and had the opportunity to examine a wide variety of replica firearms there. Virtually every one I examined was either damaged or totally ruined by poor, or no cleaning.
 Peroxide is an oxidizing agent, that has no business in the bore of your gun. It works its way into the threads of your breechplug, vent, or drum, and any other treaded fitting on the barrel, and causes damage. It抯 possibly the worst thing you can clean with.
 I used to manufacture a cleaning solvent for black powder, but now I clean with plain old cold water.
 We need to stop trying to make shooting, and cleaning muzzleloaders complicate. Use what the old timers used. If it didn抰 work we would not be here, and neither would the fine antique firearms we all admire.

Hungry Horse

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2019, 12:12:30 AM »
Water straight out of the tap does it all for me.  Sometimes if I feel froggy I might add a drop of Dawn but not usually.  Been using plain H2O for well over half a century and IT WORKS!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline R.J.Bruce

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2019, 03:28:50 AM »
All kidding aside (see my previous reply), water has worked, and worked well for over 600 years.

The oldest surviving firearm in Europe dates to 1396, from Czechoslovakia.

Like others have pointed out, we humans have a tendency to treat past knowledge with contempt, and to think that the new MUST be better just because it is new.

Water and tow for cleaning;  and a high quality animal fat that has had its salts and other impurities removed with multiple renderings for lubrication/protection, is all that is really needed.

R.J.Bruce

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2019, 04:38:43 AM »
"Water straight out of the tap does it all for me."

Be careful Hanshi.  You may not know it, but the government is putting H2O in our water!  Egads.   ;-) 

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2019, 07:38:40 PM »
Just think for a minute..... hydrogen peroxide is corrosive, an oxidizer.  Why would you want to put that in your favorite gun barrel?
In His grip,

Dane

Offline mushka

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2019, 10:05:16 PM »
I'm another that just uses plain water, room temperature.  Patch til clean and dry.  Any kind of oil used on guns to lube barrel.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2019, 10:18:30 PM »
"Water straight out of the tap does it all for me."

Be careful Hanshi.  You may not know it, but the government is putting H2O in our water!  Egads.   ;-)

WHAT!  You mean to tell me that our government is adding di-hydrogen oxide to our water supply!  I've known people to die from that stuff!  ???
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime 小asual Dating
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2019, 10:23:39 PM »
That does it!! I'm never drinking water again.

Offline R.J.Bruce

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2019, 01:10:54 AM »
That does it!! I'm never drinking water again.

Just whiskey?? Is this like a Second Whiskey Rebellion??

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime 小asual Dating
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2019, 02:33:41 AM »
Then i'd have to change my name to DrunkMtnMan.

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2019, 03:19:21 PM »
Just curious, so I tried this. I took an old scrap barrel and sanded off bright part of a flat. Marked a line with a sharpie then applied the mha solution on the right and plain water on the left and allowed to set overnight in my warm, humid garage/shop....the water side rusted while there was no apparent change on the solution side....go figure. I will continue the experiment.