Author Topic: Cleaning Solution Recipie  (Read 5492 times)

rimfire

Re: Cleaning Solution Recipie
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2019, 03:47:32 PM »
Don't leave your barrel wet.

HAWKEN

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2019, 08:38:33 PM »
That does it!! I'm never drinking water again.

I never drink water, fish @#$%/!! in it !

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2019, 08:58:34 PM »
Just curious, so I tried this. I took an old scrap barrel and sanded off bright part of a flat. Marked a line with a sharpie then applied the mha solution on the right and plain water on the left and allowed to set overnight in my warm, humid garage/shop....the water side rusted while there was no apparent change on the solution side....go figure. I will continue the experiment.

Seems to me you would follow the practice most is us plain water guys use. Clean with cool water, dry with patch, use water displacement i.e. WD40 followed by some type of protector i.e. Ballistol, Baricade etc.
Then see how they compare.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2019, 09:19:02 PM »

Just whiskey?? Is this like a Second Whiskey Rebellion??

Ya' gotta admit, though, that when a man is dried up, deep down dusty throat thirsty, water is sometimes preferable to whisky.  Never been quite that dry, myself however.   ;D
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2019, 01:20:39 AM »
Just curious, so I tried this. I took an old scrap barrel and sanded off bright part of a flat. Marked a line with a sharpie then applied the mha solution on the right and plain water on the left and allowed to set overnight in my warm, humid garage/shop....the water side rusted while there was no apparent change on the solution side....go figure. I will continue the experiment.

Seems to me you would follow the practice most is us plain water guys use. Clean with cool water, dry with patch, use water displacement i.e. WD40 followed by some type of protector i.e. Ballistol, Baricade etc.
Then see how they compare.
Dennis

Actually I was a little surprised that, unlike the water, the solution didn't show any effects like the water did...maybe it's the "oil" in the oil soap that gave it some protection short term. Not trying to convert anyone here, but like I said in my early post, I've used it for years and cannot see any harm its done to my guns(thousands of shots). Another benefit I just remembered is that after a session at the range squirt a little in the palm of your hand and wash away about all of the fowling that invariably accumulates there.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2019, 03:49:00 AM »

Just whiskey?? Is this like a Second Whiskey Rebellion??

Ya' gotta admit, though, that when a man is dried up, deep down dusty throat thirsty, water is sometimes preferable to whisky.

Yea, no. Then again I live 30 mile from the Jack Daniels distillery so I抦 less likely than the average schmo to fall for that water nonsense....

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2019, 02:00:15 PM »
I used the MOS solution for a while. I've graduated to water.  I like water that has been warmed a little by the sun.  Problem with the MOS solution was if any at all got on the stock it streaked the finish permanently, especially Tru-Oil.  But there was one thing unique about it.  When you had that age old problem when for some ungodly reason the patches kept coming out with black on them?  (we've all seen it), then a patch or two of that solution would cure that little problem.

Bob

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2019, 04:32:03 PM »
Just think for a minute..... hydrogen peroxide is corrosive, an oxidizer.  Why would you want to put that in your favorite gun barrel?
Because some duffus thought it was a good idea.
For those you simply MUST have something "cool" to clean barrels try plain old blue windex 1 part to 2-3 parts water. Works great.
But in the end water with MAYBE just a LITTLE dish detergent works as well or better than anything for blackpowder fouling.
And its really cheap.
BP fouling sucked up water like a sponge and this makes water the most efficient cleaner.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Mike_StL

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2019, 10:25:06 PM »
You have to be careful, Hanshi, the chemical is dihydrogen monoxide.  Drink too much and it will kill you!

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime 小asual Dating
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2019, 10:46:42 PM »
That does it!!!!! No more showers!

Offline R.J.Bruce

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2019, 12:10:39 AM »

DirtyMtMan??

Or

RipeMtMan??

Or

StinkyMtMan??

Or

PigPen'sBestFriendTheMtMan??

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2019, 12:17:19 AM »
I tried this concoction when it took the sport by storm about twenty years, and had rust issues. But, I did find use for the Murphy抯 oil soap. It works great for doing soap tanning, if you don抰 want to grate up a pile of Fels Naptha soap, substitute Murphy抯 oil soap. It works great.

Hungry Horse

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2019, 04:42:33 PM »

DirtyMtMan??

Or

RipeMtMan??

Or

StinkyMtMan??

Or

I think OldMtnMan still works if you know what I mean.  :)

Offline R.J.Bruce

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2019, 09:47:40 PM »

DirtyMtMan??

Or

RipeMtMan??

Or

StinkyMtMan??

Or

I think OldMtnMan still works if you know what I mean.  :)

Sorry,
          Sometimes my warped sense of humor gets away from me.

R.J.Bruce

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2019, 03:20:33 AM »
My point is you'll never find an old mountain man that smells good. :)

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2019, 01:57:44 PM »
All kidding aside (see my previous reply), water has worked, and worked well for over 600 years.

The oldest surviving firearm in Europe dates to 1396, from Czechoslovakia.

Like others have pointed out, we humans have a tendency to treat past knowledge with contempt, and to think that the new MUST be better just because it is new.

Water and tow for cleaning;  and a high quality animal fat that has had its salts and other impurities removed with multiple renderings for lubrication/protection, is all that is really needed.

R.J.Bruce

Agreed
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline JEH

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2019, 09:46:35 PM »
After looking thru this post and shooting these things for north of 40 years thought id add my 2 cents for what little its worth. Been thru the dismantle or fittings in the touch hole and hydraulic pumping them out and all the mess. Now its a simple few wet patches of Windex. Yup that's what I said. The bit of ammonia dissolves the corrosive salts. A good scrape of the breech face between wet swabs. A few dry patches and a swab of good ol 3 in 1 oil. May check it again in a day or 7. Bores are still shining and life is good

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2019, 12:05:47 AM »
Forcing water through the bore has allways worked for me, even in the anti-chamber. I do know of a few who can,t make it work as good as I have but after they switched to a better patch lube they started to have better cleaning results.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2019, 04:46:50 AM »
I have read the threads in detail. I may have missed something, but are most talking about wiping between shots or for a patch lube? Thanks, Jerry

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2019, 04:53:12 AM »
Iced coffee or some gatorade in the summer and coffee in the winter.

Oh...you mean the gun...

it  gets water and one of those screw on hose things over the touch hole that ends in a can of water.  WD 40 and maybe a little brake fluid because this forum taught me that there is no real sub for whale oil. I also find that threatening it with the happy hammer if it rusts helps.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2019, 05:41:46 PM »
Is was watching a you tube video by US Sharp Shooters Civil War Reenactor that gave Recipie for cleaning black powder fouling. Equal parts of peroxide, muphys oil soap and isopropyl alcohol.
Had anyone heard of this?  Anyone use this?

Mainly I only use dawn dish soap and water.  But I was just curious about this Recipie.
Could denatured alcohol be substituted  for isopropyl alcohol?
Thanks

Why use anything other than straight water - does not make sense. The best cleaner comes straight out of the cold water tap, whether you are using
an oil, grease or water based lube.  If using an oil or grease, there is no oil or grease in the fouling. Doh! (as Homer would say)
If you use lip balm for lube, all bets are off. I have heard from a reliable source, that 'stuff', when exposed to BP flame and heat, builds up something in the grooves
 over time (or in as few as 10 shots) and is nasty $#@* to remove. Why use it? Track's Mink oil and Neetsfoot Oil work just fine for hunting, plain water, spit or WWWF + a tich of oil (shaken
then applied to pre-cuts) to reduce the rate of evapouration works perfectly for target shooting.  Mr.Flintlock's lube and LHValley lube also work well for target.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dave A

• Starting Member
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2019, 02:06:56 AM »
"Why use anything other than straight water - does not make sense."
-------------------------

While I mostly agree, there are plenty of reasons to use other methods.

3 parts water to 1 part Ballistol (3-1) is a great for quick cleaning, and doesn't require any water displacers like WD40 etc. and I do think it is superior to water for cleaning locks- but I know such talk is polarizing for some reason.

Though, I agree that overall it is hard to beat water.