Author Topic: New video - Stock Wood  (Read 3013 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
New video - Stock Wood
« on: June 27, 2019, 04:43:40 PM »

Offline nemovir

Re: New video - Stock Wood
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 05:19:26 PM »
Given that you're, apparently, having trouble finding good wood. Will you be making shorter rifles, possibly half stock?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 05:22:25 PM »
There's probably a Hawken kit someday in our future.  Who knows when though...

Jim

Offline nemovir

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 06:11:23 PM »
Excellent.  If I may, I would suggest a .32 flintlock halfstock with 13 inch length of pull with a short barrel.  Something like a junior's first kit sort of a thing.  Sadly I fear there won't be much of a market, but at least it will be different.  Seems to me, kit makers all make the same type of kit.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 06:23:32 PM »
I'd be interested in any new kits.  I have done two of each so far and would definitely buy anything new.   A Hawken would definitely be popular.  Nobody has ever marketed a quality Hawken kit, Jim could be the first.  A half stock flint light weight long rifle would also interest me. 

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 07:22:21 PM »
 Thanks for taking the time to make and post it, I would like to be a fly on the wall and watch the whole process. Can't get enough of this kind of video.

Thanks, Tim

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 07:24:19 PM »
 ;) ;) ;)... great video, Jim,... I can almost smell those  fresh cut blanks,.. some great thick and long boards there,... I believe some are long  enough to stock a proper Soddy Tennessee chunk gun ....  !!!!

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 07:27:05 PM »
I have the same jig saw and it is a hard working saw. The Bosh people told me that this jig saw can handle 3" sugar maple with the right blade. I love mine ;D

That walnut's figure is just AMAZING ;) 8)!!!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 07:48:29 PM by P.W.Berkuta »
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline wapiti22

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 08:14:30 PM »
Great video!!!!

Online Pete G.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 08:33:40 PM »
Astounding how rapidly that bandsaw can cut through seasoned maple. It could remove a finger or two in the twinkling of an eye. :o

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 10:19:09 PM »
Astounding how rapidly that bandsaw can cut through seasoned maple. It could remove a finger or two in the twinkling of an eye. :o

Yeah, so true.  I love this saw.  It's a mid 40's Tannewitz 36".  This is still considered by many to be among the best bandsaws built.  I bought if from a shop that made pallets near Dayton, Ohio.  You can pretty much push stock wood as fast as you want through it if you have a sharp blade.

Offline RobertS

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 10:49:49 PM »
Some of those cut off pieces would sure make some pretty knife handles, etc, and I would think would be a good source of additional revenue for you. 

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 11:06:22 PM »
Some of those cut off pieces would sure make some pretty knife handles, etc, and I would think would be a good source of additional revenue for you.

I was thinking the same thing.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 11:52:05 PM »
 Now that’s a bandsaw! Thanks for sharing this video, Jim.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2019, 12:17:22 AM »

We do sell some to a retailer who sells knife handles, etc. but have more than they need.  So if anyone is interested in buying these in quantity let us know.  Cutting longrifle stocks generates a lot of very usable scrap wood.  We can't keep it all.

Thanks everybody,
Jim

Ridge

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2019, 04:15:36 AM »

I was thinking pistols stocks.  Some pieces looked large enough.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2019, 05:07:47 AM »
Jim,
Thanks for taking the time to show us a behind the scenes. I enjoyed the heck out of it. Henry Ford made a fortune on the scrap wood coming out of his shop so don’t disregard nickeling and diming that stuff out. Would pay for an extra employee.

I hope my stock is in that bunch!

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2019, 04:59:59 PM »
I have the same jig saw and it is a hard working saw. The Bosh people told me that this jig saw can handle 3" sugar maple with the right blade. I love mine ;D

Thanks everybody.  Yeah, that is a pretty good jig saw.  We've cut 3" sugar maple with it.  For someone without a bandsaw and  only wanting to cut out a few blanks this would work.  I'm not sure they make this model anymore, but you would have to check.

Jim

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2019, 05:47:20 PM »
What jigsaw model is it?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2019, 06:20:52 PM »
What jigsaw model is it?

Bosch 1590EVS

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2019, 08:36:41 PM »

Thanks everybody.  Yeah, that is a pretty good jig saw.  We've cut 3" sugar maple with it.  For someone without a bandsaw and  only wanting to cut out a few blanks this would work.  I'm not sure they make this model anymore, but you would have to check.

Jim

I have one like it and love it. With a good sharp blade I too have cut 3 inch maple, cuts 2 1/2" walnut like butter until you hit a burl which does slow it down. I use it instead of my band saw (to keep from having to handle heavy boards on the band saw).
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2019, 10:56:54 PM »
Super video. Thank you very much for sharing.  I can't help noticing the lack of hearing protection, though.  I've made a habit of using it all my life and still have good hearing despite so much shop time. As a bonafide senior citizen, it's advice I always try to share  :-[ :)

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2019, 08:13:48 AM »
There's probably a Hawken kit someday in our future.  Who knows when though...

Jim

Put me on that list.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2019, 04:20:40 PM »
Thank you Jim.  Great presentation to show us rifle stocks being  born out of rough sawed boards.
I’m not a builder but still enjoy seeing the process.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2019, 06:23:14 PM »
Thank you Jim.  Great presentation to show us rifle stocks being  born out of rough sawed boards.
I’m not a builder but still enjoy seeing the process.

Yeah, I understand.  I watch all kinds of youtube videos about stuff I don't do.  I just find it interesting.

Thanks again everybody.

Jim