Author Topic: Can anyone identify this rifle?  (Read 2911 times)

Shannonp

Can anyone identify this rifle?
« on: June 28, 2019, 03:57:27 AM »
I would like to ask if anyone can identify this rifle. My brother and I inherited 2 rifles that were our great great grandfather's and his brother's. One was a 36 Cal and the other is a 54 Cal. The 54, according to family story, was originally a flintlock and 50 Cal. The lock was changed to percussion sometime in the 1800s and the barrel was bored out to 54 in the early 1900s. The lock has "Tower 1862" and a crown stamped on it if that's of any help. There appears to be initials on top of the barrel. Maybe the makers? Both guns were shot about 10 years ago and are in great shape for their age. There aren't any other marks I can find but I haven't totally disassembled the rifle yet either. Thanks in advance for any responses. I appreciate being allowed to join this group. Thanks

Shannon Plott

tyger by william blake analysis line by line

Shannonp

Re: Can anyone identify this rifle?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 04:06:08 AM »
I'm sorry I posted this this in the wrong section. I was busy reading the posts in this section and I guess I got to caught up in asking for help that I didn't notice where I was posting. Can anyone tell me how to move it to the appropriate forum section?

Shannon
**I moved it for you. Dennis**
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 02:06:14 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 04:26:01 PM »
The lock is from a Civil War Enfield musket. It is not the original lock because I think I see another lock bolt hole. Looking at that really short wrist, I would start looking in the central TN area.

Shannonp

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 05:05:24 PM »
He lived in Maggie Valley, NC (western nc 20 miles from TN). Yes the lock has been changed and I suspected it was a musket lock but wasn't sure.  Musket caps are too loose of a fit but 11s won't fit. May change the nipple so it can shot with commonly available caps and save the current one.

Shannon

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 05:12:25 PM »
 :) ;) :D... you came to the right place to ask about these guns,... !!! ... the one you show is a common mountain hog rifle,... made up of other parts,... give us some specs,... barrel length, overall length,...?? ... now,... being you are a Plott, coming from Swain Co. area, this one, if owned by an ancestor on the Plott side, was most likely made in that area for a bear gun,... the trigger-guard and triggers look like Gillespie to me, those gunsmiths working in the Henderson County area, not far away,... come up to the doins' in Waynesville on the 4th, and I can see in person and give a better idea,... BTW, Bob Plott, Mel Hankla, Jim Chambers and Earl Lanning will be there,... these fellows can most likely tell you all you want to know about these rifles,... regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler,... BTW,...give us some photos and specs on the .36cal rifle,... !!!

Shannonp

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 05:34:42 PM »
Oh yeah it's definitely a bear gun no doubt on that. I will be there if I can get off from work. I will get pics of the 36 and some of of the accessories with them. Hunting bag, horn, etc.  Thanks again for all info and replies. I figured the rifles were made to shoot not be wall hangers (unless they are unsafe of course)

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 05:59:58 PM »
Look at the hole where the original lock bolt was. This is not the original lock for that stock.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 06:16:33 PM »
 ;) ;)... Gerald,... looking at enlarged photo #4, there does seem to be a fine line at bottom of the lock inlet area,... maybe wood replaced,...?... check out that one piece butt-plate,... !!!

Shannonp

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 01:13:16 AM »
I took a closer pic of the lock and trigger. The rifle is 57 3/8 long with 41 3/4 barrel.

Shannon

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 05:34:36 AM »
 ??? ??? thanx for close-up,... line I saw in the pic is front of trigger-guard,... I believe lock is original to this rifle,... no idea what x-tra hole on off side is for,.... would really like to see in person,....

Shannonp

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 05:51:18 PM »
Maybe we can run into one another in Waynesville later this month. Thanks everyone for all the info and replies.

Shannon

Online Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 03:42:26 AM »
I think the lock is probably a replacement. Note the percussion side lug is unsupported underneath by the lock plate. Any good gunsmith would have a tight fit, i.e. contact,  between lock plate and bottom of side lug, so the plate gives support to the side lug when beaten on by the hammer. Shelby Gallien

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 02:35:22 PM »
Has no one else seen the second lock bolt about 3/4 of an inch behind the empty hole for the original lock bolt? Of course the lock is a replacement.

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2019, 05:05:19 PM »
 ;) ;) ;)... yessir, Gerald,... saw that right away and wondered about it,... lock seems to have been inlet at a strange angle,... also last photo seems that there is some wood missing from the front top of lock panel,... I now think the lock is a replacement,... hope to view the rifle in person pretty soon,.... will report,...