Author Topic: Peter White in the White  (Read 1653 times)

Offline t.caster

Peter White in the White
« on: July 02, 2019, 10:16:31 PM »
This little Bedford rifle has been keeping me busy for a while now. It is being built for a fellow on this sight who lives not far from Bedford, Pa. He wants a fancy .50 cal flintlock hunting rifle, so I think this will fit the bill! I believe all the examples of P. White"s rifles and one pistol I have found are done in flintlock
so you can't say there were no flintlocks made in Bedford. White's work is influenced by John Armstrong since he started out in Maryland before moving to Bedford.
This has a .50 cal x 7/8" x 42" Green Mountain barrel and L&R Bedford lock, dbl. set triggers and brass furniture with sterling silver inlays for bling! Not quite ready to stain yet as I want to put a molding line along the forend of the stock and scrape a few areas yet.

Original P. Whites for inspiration:

My progress:

Tom C.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
Re: Peter White in the White
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 11:53:28 PM »
Nice to see something different.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 01:19:53 AM »
Nice work.  Is it my imagination, or did you reduce the drop. In the photos of the original I thought, "I'd hate to shoot one with that much drop".  In the photos of your I do not get that impression.  I look forward to seeing the finish make that carving "pop".  God Bless,   Marc

Offline FALout

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 04:07:28 AM »
Very nice workmanship.  I’ve always liked that style since I got into muzzleloading.
Bob

Offline t.caster

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 03:44:42 PM »
Marcruger, I make the drop & pull to fit myself or the customer (using a "try-stock") depending on the situation, regardless of the dimensions on the original. And this is a compilation of White's characteristics not a copy of any one rifle. That said it has 4" of drop and 13 3/4" pull. It has a thick wrist and no drop at the front of the comb like most guns, so it is deceptive. You look at a collection of rifles by any one builder (if possible) and they are not all the same drop & pull either.
Thanks for the feedback and apologies for my cell phone pics.
Tom C
Tom C.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 10:06:59 PM »
Here's a pic of the patchbox before & after engraving.

Sorry the lines don't show up well since I haven't blackened them yet.

Tom C.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 10:23:58 PM »
You've done a super job on that beauty.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 10:39:09 PM »
One of my favorite makers and a fine job you did with it.  Looking forward to seeing it finished.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Dave Tercek

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 01:41:01 AM »
If Peter White new someone someday,200 years in the future, would be copying his guns he would be proud. Really nice work!