Author Topic: Bag #14 - Something Different - Bearded  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Marcruger

Bag #14 - Something Different - Bearded
« on: July 03, 2019, 01:08:20 AM »
Hi Folks,

In an effort to branch out a bit, I took on construction of this bearded Appalachian hunting pouch.  These were not common in the day, and after wearing my fingers out in its construction, I can see why.  The hard work lies totally in the decorative properties. 

This bag is made of bridle leather, with a buckskin fringed welt.  There is a bridle leather stiffener and reinforcement inside the top back.  The beard on the flap is also buckskin.  Cutting that stretchy buckskin into fringe strips, and getting them sewn on was a bear and really taxes the patience.  Of course the "beard" loved getting caught in the saddle stitching as I went.  The rolled edge on the top of the front is suede calfskin.  The straps is 4-5 ounce cowhide.  Blacksmith iron buckle. 

I have included a photo of the bag with one of Ron Hess' horns, as well as one of the buckskin fringe strips drying. 

This bag is just crazy enough that I might keep this one for myself. 

I hope y'all enjoy it.  God Bless, and best wishes,  Marc

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Bag #14 - Something Different - Bearded
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 01:19:28 AM »
Great work Marc!   You must have a lot of hours in that pouch.

Offline will payne

• AKA dead eye/ Coder /Ethical Hacker
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 03:14:16 AM »
I'm a fan of your leather work now, that bag is just pure beauty.
Master Will
🕯
Will

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 03:39:03 AM »
Marc, wow!  Just wow!  My hands are aching just thinking about cutting all that fringe...then sewing it all on!  I don’t blame you for keeping this one for yourself...

I especially like the tag with your cartouche and bag number...very classy!

Kudos my friend!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline WH1

• Capall Mara Forge Website
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 04:04:51 AM »
Marc
that is a beautiful bag very unique looking and interesting.
Your work is progressing by leaps and bounds.
well done sir
V/R
Todd

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 04:25:40 AM »
Purty neat rig you sewed up. What king of leather did you use for all them fringes, goat? You did a really nice job on it.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 03:22:00 PM »
Outstanding. I’m glad to hear that your going to keep this one, Marc. Sharon has already told me where it’s going if it’s sold.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 03:43:07 PM »
Whew, glad you showed how you did it.  I was afraid you sewed the fringe on one at a time.  ;D

Great look and very nicely done.
Andover, Vermont

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 03:47:52 PM »
Very nice job Marc, well executed. 
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 01:06:12 AM »
Hey guys,

I really appreciate the great responses to this project.  It was a lot of fun, and my angry knuckles and fingers attest to it taking hours. 

Rich, yes, the fringe was done in strips, and the bar across the top of each is where the sewing secures it.  I cut that bar down considerably on each so I could get more rows on the flap.  The more "hair", the better the "beard", eh? 

Brian, the fringe is buckskin, not goat.  Goat's an idea though.  The buckskin should last close to forever, as it is very
tough and tear resistant, and as stretchy as a water balloon.  Great news for final product, but that stretch and flexibility makes it very hard to deal with when cutting.  Just go into it wide-eyed if you decide to make one. 

My thanks again to all for the kind reviews.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 01:25:38 AM »
I think this is where the "beard" part comes from...….    ;-) 

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2019, 10:30:29 AM »
That's really neat and unique!

I wish I had read this post before I attempted my first bag. I used deerskin and it has been a tough row to hoe... I seem to spend more time chasing it around than I do stitching... It's a simple affair but it still looks terrible. Lol

Mike

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2019, 01:26:34 PM »
I hear you Mike. Deer hide has to at minimum be held down immobile while cutting. I am really not sure how I’d use deer hide for a bag without laminating it to something like cloth. The deer I am using is stretchy like rubber. Good luck on your project. God bless, Marc

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2019, 05:53:28 PM »
Bearded bags rule. 
TC
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2019, 07:33:38 PM »
I hear you Mike. Deer hide has to at minimum be held down immobile while cutting. I am really not sure how I’d use deer hide for a bag without laminating it to something like cloth. The deer I am using is stretchy like rubber. Good luck on your project. God bless, Marc

Thanks Marc!

It is extremely flexible and stretchable... Which gives some insight into why it was used for clothing. It will give and move with you. Does wetting it improve workability at all? Or does that make it slick and even more pliable?

My bag turned out OK... It, like most of my endeavors, is pretty amateur and chock full of mistakes. But I learned a little...

I will start a new post and see if I can get some critiques and maybe a few ideas on how to finish it.

Mike

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 03:10:07 AM »
Hi Mike,

Wetting buckskin just hardens it in my experience.  Not great for longevity. 

I think the key to using it is laminating it (with spray glue or similar) to a piece of cloth or non-stretchy leather lining.  That way it won't distort.  Jim Webb uses buckskin all the time, and his work is held in shape by linings.  He is the master of buckskin work.  If you get to the CLA show, stop and talk with Jim and Susie. They are wonderful, and both are incredible artists. I am making bags, and three of Jim's bags live at my house. 

I am not sure what to say about dye work after the bag is done.  I fully finish all of my parts before I sew anything.  I hate dye getting onto areas that I don't want dyed.  Others use different dye processes, but this one works for me.  I also absolutely hate dye transferring to someone's clothes, and I expend a lot of effort to prevent that.  Again, this may not bother others.

I hope this helps.  God Bless, and best wishes,   Marc 

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 04:46:42 AM »
Thanks again Marc. I worked on cutting out the shoulder strap today... Horrible. It was like trying to hold a rubber band straight.

Like I said before, this was my very first attempt. My wife bought me TC Albert's book and a lot of the info in it was very helpful... I should've used a decent veg tan leather like he recommended. But the deer is what I had on hand... So lesson learned.

I may step back and work on polishing some of the basic fundamentals of leather work before I take another swing at a bag.

Mike

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2019, 03:24:44 PM »
Bearded bags rule. 
TC

Hey Marc, Your bag brought him out :)

Tim

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2019, 05:08:48 PM »
I hear you Tim. I took that as a compliment. 🙂

TC REALLY knows how to make a fine bearded bag.

God bless, Marc

Offline KC

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2019, 07:30:09 PM »
I agree with everyone else, that bag is great. A lot of nice details, well done.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL