Author Topic: FOUR LONGRIFLES - YOUR CHOICE - $3,750 EACH  (Read 1872 times)

Offline fundukj

FOUR LONGRIFLES - YOUR CHOICE - $3,750 EACH
« on: July 03, 2019, 05:14:31 AM »
I hope I'm doing my part to help make this site a veritable gun show.  Enjoy the photos and I'll add descriptions soon. Thanks. John

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
    • NMLRA Gunsmithing Seminar and Workshop at WKU
Re: FOUR LONGRIFLES - YOUR CHOICE - $3,750 EACH
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 06:23:26 AM »
John, is that swivel breech a J. Kuntz?

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

NMLRA Gunsmithing Seminar and Workshop at WKU~ http://www.nmlragunsmithingseminar.org/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline fundukj

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 06:35:50 AM »
Yes, it is.  Here's the description.    It is profusely engraved and signed on both sides of the receiver (name on one side and town on the other). Also, it has a magnificent piece of wood (buttstock) and it is in good condition, overall. However, it was rebarreled and shot in competition years ago by renowned shooter and builder Roy Vail. I'm sure the fore stock panels and the hardware on them were replaced at the same time. The work is excellent.  More pics here: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=52328.msg521775#msg521775

Offline Algae

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 05:19:21 PM »
Great eye candy!!  Thanks John!

Al J.

Online rich pierce

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 05:22:04 PM »
Letís hear about the bottom rifle.
St. Louis, Missouri

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 05:54:19 PM »
You always seem to have some nice guns. But I wish you'd choose a non-reflective background to take your photos.  The guns would show oh-so-much better.  I'm no pro, but even an old bed sheet behind them would make your images a lot more useful. 
Done right is better than done fast.

Offline fundukj

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 07:26:00 PM »
I'll work on a better background for the pictures next time. Thanks for the tip. As for the bottom rifle, it is beautifully signed in script, "J * M * Anderson."  The only other one like it that I've found is pictured in the big patchbox book. I believe that it could be the later James Anderson (died 1831) who worked in Virginia, based on my research.  Gorgeous running deer on the cheek piece, nice escutcheons for the barrel keys, engraved patchbox and toe plate, checkered wrist.  Good condition, overall.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 09:31:12 PM »
John,  What do you know about the 2nd from top.  Looks Westmoreland Cty or Ohio.  Nice artistic inlays.  Any markings?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline fundukj

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 09:54:53 PM »
Rob: The half-stock is unsigned, but has beautiful design work on the top barrel flat behind the rear sight. I've always attributed it to Teaff from Ohio, but it could easily be Western PA.  It has a brass rib and the stock appears to be walnut. Great engraving all around.

Offline fundukj

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 08:12:28 PM »
The half-stock is sold.

Offline fundukj

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 11:32:12 PM »
The top rifle in most of the photos is the best Joe Long I've seen for sale recently.  It is beautifully signed in script, "J. Long."  I can send you additional photos, if interested. Thanks. John

Offline fundukj

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2019, 09:39:28 PM »
The swivel is sold.

Offline fundukj

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 04:57:12 PM »
I'll go $3,500 each for the two remaining rifles.  That's the Joe Long and the J. M. Anderson.  Thanks.

Offline lexington1

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 08:14:48 PM »
I got the swivel breech from John today. I'll have to tell you it is much nicer than his pictures illustrate. I would not hesitate to buy anything from him!

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 01:52:48 PM »
I'll have to tell you it is much nicer than his pictures illustrate. I would not hesitate to buy anything from him!

The same with the half-stock I got today! John built a wonderful wooden crate and the rifle arrived savely
in Germany.
Kind regards from Germany, Chris