Author Topic: patch material  (Read 7385 times)

jim m

patch material
« on: July 29, 2008, 09:47:58 PM »
didn't want to hi jack the other thread, but it was mentioned that the quality of pillow ticking is not what it use to be. so what is the next best alternative,  linnen, denim, ??? I know there will be a lot of diferent opinions but please express them

roundball

Re: patch material
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 10:26:49 PM »
didn't want to hi jack the other thread, but it was mentioned that the quality of pillow ticking is not what it use to be. so what is the next best alternative,  linnen, denim, ??? I know there will be a lot of diferent opinions but please express them

I'd like to offer a slight ammendment to that declaration...while I've also seen a lessor quality pillow ticking in today's market, the better quality original type pillow ticking hasn't been discontinued...it simply may be stocked less often...asking the folks in a Joanne's Fabric shop about it for example should result in them at least ordering some or telling you where to find some...

jim m

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 10:49:29 PM »
no such thing as a joannes around here, even wally world has stoped carrying fabric. ps I hate wally world, did I say I don't like walmart!! yeah I know I'm a hypocrit, cause I still shop there

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 02:26:26 AM »
Denim comes in different makes, of course, apparently just like Ticking.  Denim is generally listed by weight, ie: 6 pound, 8, 10, 12, etc.  Not every 'weight' comes out with the same thickness.  When it comes to using thin fabric, as in .107" or thinner, pocket drill is much better due to the thread count.  The heavier Denims, as in 8 pound through 12 pound are best suited for balls .010" to .010" under bore size. I use some 8 and 10 as it more closely hits in the .019 thorugh .022" ranges of thickenss I use most often.  I am using 8 pound from one bolt as well as 10 from another and both measure .020" - go figure.  I'm using a michrometer to measure as I was getting too much variance in calipers.  When I tighten the mic. I run the ratchet - briiiiiiiit- probably 6 to 10 clicks. Some mics are different than others. Taylor's mic, measures cloth as .002" thicker than mine does.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 04:45:55 AM »
As you point out vernier calipers are for rough estimates ::) +- .001-.002.
I use the mic when I want to know the actual size of something.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 04:50:55 AM »
unbleached cotton canvas with the highest thread count you can get.  THread count is the critical measure. oonce you get a good high thread count then ise the micrometer to find the thickness you want. The highthread cound provides the integrity under stress needed in a patch.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

ironwolf

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 11:53:34 AM »
  I still use pillow ticking that has a very tight weave according to the light test.  If your patch holds up,  thread count is not a critical number.
  Thickness is where accuracy is developed, And you ain't gonna' find a .020 material with an 'Egyptian Cotton' thread count.
  Forget the count,  find a patch that passes the light test and doesn't blow out. And thick enough.

Kevin

William Worth

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 03:07:55 PM »
One thing I really like about the pillow ticking, the stripes help me cut straight lines. :P

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 03:37:47 PM »
I am still using pillow ticking from WalMart. Mic'ed 0.019 when purchased. After washing, mic'ed 0.017. Works great and seems to hold lube better than unwashed.
Gene

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 04:48:08 PM »
  I still use pillow ticking that has a very tight weave according to the light test.  If your patch holds up,  thread count is not a critical number.
  Thickness is where accuracy is developed, And you ain't gonna' find a .020 material with an 'Egyptian Cotton' thread count.
  Forget the count,  find a patch that passes the light test and doesn't blow out. And thick enough.

Kevin
Yes, please see my post on the former thread!

Jim Thomas

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 06:38:01 PM »
In the quest to find a good .020,   I've used two Ox Yoke .010s with great success.   The patch between the first and the ball,  is reusable.     

I guess this should  be my confession for the "tight" thread ::).   

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
Jim- using .020" patches is normal. I use them with a ball that's .002" larger than my bore, without any difficulty with a 3/8" hickory rod. A short starter with a cupped nub is used to start the ball and patch. There is no cutting of the patch and they load easily.