Author Topic: stock moulding end point  (Read 966 times)

brokenflint

stock moulding end point
« on: July 04, 2019, 11:06:07 PM »
I have a question I need answered.  Traditionally where do the lower stock straight mouldings end?  I'm not at home atm and don't have access to my books so I thought I would ask here.  I've seen this done at the tail of the trigger guard and then again at the trigger itself, unsure where it actually is supposed to end up.

BF

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: stock moulding end point
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 12:09:00 AM »
The lower butt moldings will end at various places depending upon region and builder.  Some - primarily earlier stepped stocks - will end at the rear guard return.  Some will run up into the trigger plate, typically on straighter stocks or stocks with no step.  Then you have the Lehigh and eastern Berks pieces that often terminate somewhere in the middle of the trigger guard grip rail, which seems odd but has somewhat of a charm and grows on you.  So the bottom line is to determine what region and/or particular maker you may be emulating, and go from there.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

brokenflint

Re: stock moulding end point
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 02:43:15 AM »
Thanks Eric, have a Kibler Colonial Kit I'm working on atm, so it appears to be a straight stock then.  Well at least for a contemporary build, thanks for the time in repling.

BF