Author Topic: Painted Lehigh for sale  (Read 2180 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Painted Lehigh for sale
« on: July 07, 2019, 02:12:56 AM »
42" .50 cal swamped Colerain "B" weight barrel, hard maple stock. "Pre owned" Cochran lock dated "1978". Stock painted with milk paint and the whole works antiqued. 13 1/8" pull, lots of drop, not a cheek buster.  The lock is a great sparker. Weighs a few ounces under 7lbs, very light off hand hunting/woods walk rifle. Very unique rifle. $1800 + shipping. Click on the pics, they get much bigger.

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline old george

Re: Painted Lehigh for sale
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 02:47:06 AM »
Mike, that is some kinda different but then so are a lot of us ;) How will that paint hold up in the field.

George
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 04:13:21 AM »
Nice use for that lock Mike.  I like the rifle!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online Mike Lyons

• Mike Lyons
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 04:22:55 AM »
I like it.  Great choice of colors. 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 04:15:07 PM »
Mike, that is some kinda different but then so are a lot of us ;) How will that paint hold up in the field.

George
Yes, it's an incredibly durable finish. I stained the gun as usual with iron nitrate and tung oil. I put three coats of brick red milk paint on the gun. I had a very hard time scrubbing it back during the antiquing process so I figure it won't show much wear even with heavy use. The paint is from Woodcraft and is described as an indoor/outdoor paint.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 04:18:34 PM »
I like it.  Great choice of colors.
It looks better in person. I ordered a can of "Green Patina" for the scrolls/vines and what you see is not what i'd call anything like "Green" ::) But, who's to say some old Duetcher wasn't fond of blueish vines. ;D

Offline R.J.Bruce

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 03:39:38 PM »
Mike,
          How much paint does a long gun like the Lehigh require for three coats?

Will a pint suffice, or does one need to purchase a quart?

Also, what grade of abrasive scrub pad does the paint require?

Thanks,
              R.J.Bruce

P.S.
       The rifle rocks!!

If I had the funds, I buy it in a heartbeat. It fits me almost exactly!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 03:43:10 PM by R.J.Bruce »

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 10:51:01 PM »
Only Brooks would have the cajones to pull this off. :o

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 11:53:00 PM »
I'm picturing meeting up with a guy in full frontier garb carrying the rifle and the woods and I can't think
what my mind would be telling me at that time  ;D.  I wish my wife liked to hunt because
I would get that for her.   She's pretty.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 12:58:05 AM »
I'm picturing meeting up with a guy in full frontier garb carrying the rifle and the woods and I can't think
what my mind would be telling me at that time  ;D.  I wish my wife liked to hunt because
I would get that for her.   She's pretty.
This is a farmers gun, not a frontiersman's gun. This area in PA was pretty heavily settled by the 1820, the frontier was closer to the Rockies. I doubt guns like this ever made it 10 miles past the farm.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 05:53:25 PM »
I'm getting a kick out of this. According to my emails and PM's this gun has some folks pretty shook up. ;) BTW, it ain't pink, it's brick red...Ö. ::) So, I man could own it and not be too girly.... :P

Offline Kevin

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 05:45:03 PM »
The color shows up on lots of stuff from eastern PA from the period.  I've been told and/or have read that iron oxide was the cheapest pigment for paint - hence wooden barns, as well as lots of other stuff, being red/reddish.  The decoration fits right in with that on various painted items from the era.

Nice job on something different.

Kevin

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 06:11:42 PM »
Mike,
          How much paint does a long gun like the Lehigh require for three coats?

Will a pint suffice, or does one need to purchase a quart?

Also, what grade of abrasive scrub pad does the paint require?

Thanks,
              R.J.Bruce

P.S.
       The rifle rocks!!

If I had the funds, I buy it in a heartbeat. It fits me almost exactly!
Sorry, missed this. I doubt I used a 1/4" of paint in a pint can.  I purposely left brush marks in the finish coat as I wanted the final coat to pick up some patina after I rubbed the whole thing out, interesting texture that way. I rubbed this one out with 0000 steel wool. You could probably use some other abrasive pads as well. I polished it out with a rumpled up paper towel....seemed to get the look I was looking for.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 01:06:09 AM »
I was fortunate enough to handle the gun this week. Itís an absolute beauty and a unique and beautiful piece of folk art. If you want a signature piece from a noted gun maker, this one is it. A real bargain folks!!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 01:09:32 AM by Stoner creek »