Author Topic: 3/4 stock update. 90% there...  (Read 978 times)

Offline pjmcdonald

3/4 stock update. 90% there...
« on: July 08, 2019, 06:01:12 AM »
With the recent discussions on what is and is not appropriate on this forum, I hope this one makes the cut. The original can be traced through the family only as far as about 1870ish. But I tried to stay true to the spirit of the traditional American long rifle. I hope it meets with general approval.

It was a challenging and fun build. Still a few minor details to sort. I’ll do the final work on sights after I get her to the range.

The trigger is “spongy.” Not sure how to correct that. I might have to rework the trigger completely. A few bolt and screw heads to dress. But she functions!

Paul

imghost

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Re: 3/4 stock update. 90% there...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 02:06:28 PM »
Paul you have done a great job on the recreation of your families 3/4 stocked rifle. Your rifle fits this forum as well as any Southern Iron mounted rifle does, especially since you started this build from a blank. More research needs to be done on the 3/4 stocked rifles. I think that their popularity was a realitively short period, maybe only 60 years or so, they are a definite style of the long rifle.

This style of rifle could have gained some popularity after the Lewis and Clark expedition and their use of the short rifle. I have a 3/4 stocked rifle in my collection that was built as an flint lock and I am positive that was built as a 3/4 stocked rifle originally.

Anyway, nice job.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Pennsylvania Dutchman

Re: 3/4 stock update. 90% there...
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 07:09:05 PM »
Very well done! I like it!
Mark
Mark Poley