Author Topic: Question for machinists.  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Question for machinists.
« on: July 30, 2019, 08:47:31 PM »
I use alot of carbide bits/inserts for turning and milling parts and use Three different types.
APMT16 for my 4 cutter milling head.
CTN-2 for my parting tool
CCMT06 for lathe turning

When buying bits/inserts the type/size code is followed by a string of number and letter describing characteristics of the carbides/inserts, for exsemple APMT1604DER-H2VP15TF.
Where can I find an expanation for these codes? How do I know what type of materials these are suitable for(steel, brass, bronze, cast iron)?
Looking for long lasting bits/inserts for steel, suitable for rough cuts and fine cuts.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Question for machinists.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 09:04:32 PM »
Here are the Kennemetal description charts from my machining textbook

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 09:12:05 PM »
James Rogers did GOOD!  I was going to suggest trying mscdirect.com or victornet.com.  The only codes I know by heart is R, L, and A.
R cuts toward the lathe head, L cuts away from the cutter head, and A gives a square shoulder.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 11:06:38 PM »
If you haven't tried it already you should give high speed steel tooling a try. I generally get better finishes with properly ground hss lathe bits than with carbide insert tooling. You cannot run them as fast and they won't last as long with harder materials, but they are way more forgiving with the less rigid machines that most hobbyists use.

Offline winemaker

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 01:49:47 AM »
The msc catalog has a few pages dedicated to describing what all of the numbers mean. If you go on the msc direct website, go to the table of contents and look for indexable tooling, I think it’s section 3. The charts are the first few pages.

Offline Buffaload

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 05:01:45 AM »
44-Henry,
I agree.  I have some heavy machines capable of getting the most out of carbide but I prefer high speed.  I can grind up any form I want for special projects and I never use up all my “inserts”.  I have used insert tooling and PCD for automotive high production machining but personally at home, I prefer HSS.  Now I do keep some small carbide spade bits for drilling out hard screws.  Those are handy.
Ed

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 08:47:50 AM »
If you know the manufacturer of your favorite inserts then contact them and ask for all relative handbooks on those inserts. These handbooks give specific data on their inserts and sometimes you learn new stuff. A few decades ago I ordered all the tooling and metal for our T&D shop. I had handbooks for everything and they were indispensable.
American horses of Arabian descent.