Author Topic: Proper way to cut a button hole?  (Read 2338 times)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Proper way to cut a button hole?
« on: July 10, 2019, 08:09:30 PM »
What is the proper way to cut a button hole in leather?  The next couple bags I make have a button holding the flap down.  I cut a slit in the flap for my previous bag.  It seems to work but I figured there's a proper way to do it.

Offline msellers

Re: Proper way to cut a button hole?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 08:19:34 PM »
It usually is a slit. There is an actual buttonhole chisel that you can find once in awhile. Then bind the edge to keep it from tearing anymore.

I look forward to James Rodgers chiming in here, so I can learn more as well.

Mike

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 10:53:26 PM »
When I cut a button hole in leather, I punch a round hole where the base of the button and thread attachment will be, and cut a slit toward the base end just large enough so the button will pass with relative ease.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 12:10:51 AM »
What Taylor describes is what a pippin punch will give you. There is another similar punch that has an oval hole instead of the round. It has another proper name but it escapes me and American companies that make them call them pippins anyway. One can also put two varying size holes in and connect them. That is what a trace punch will give you.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 01:42:03 AM »
Thank you for that advice.  This forum always amazes me.  I wonder how many people have honed skills or totally developed new skills they never knew they had from the priceless knowledge passed on by the experts on here like Taylor and James.  I owe many of you a debt of gratitude. 

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 03:51:55 PM »
D.Taylor...
When I cut a button hole in leather, I punch a round hole where the base of the button and thread attachment will be, and cut a slit toward the base end just large enough so the button will pass with relative ease.

Yup.  Works best on a bag, but don't get too persnickety about..."proper"...unless you are trying to duplicate a particular historical piece.

I've also found that, when mounting buttons without a stem, it helps the function if you wrap the thread around itself just under the flat button of the button.  A couple of wraps before sending the needle through the leather for the last time raises it just enough to compensate for the thickness of the flap that will secure to it.

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 07:34:48 PM »
I got the idea for my system from my old Sam Browne.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 08:59:46 PM »
I think I will be punching holes and slitting leather to the proper size.  Pippin punches must be in serious demand.  I understand that quality tools are expensive but, $70 for a size specific punch is pretty steep. 

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 01:10:53 AM »
I am not button hole expert.  That said, I punch two holes, cut between them with an exacto, and then bevel the opening.  I then dye the edges from the top with the same dye as used on the surface.  I wish I had a rule of thumb for what is "just right" on width and length.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 03:41:50 AM »
I am not button hole expert.  That said, I punch two holes, cut between them with an exacto, and then bevel the opening.  I then dye the edges from the top with the same dye as used on the surface.  I wish I had a rule of thumb for what is "just right" on width and length.  God Bless,   Marc

It's that simple and "just right" is if it works like you want it ; )

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 06:22:05 AM »
Thank you both.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 04:01:33 PM »
I saw a wonderful slot punch this weekend in a leather shop.  It would do perfect button holes if you used the correct sized buttons.  The price was $60.00.  It looked to be high quality, but at that price, I will continue making my own by cutting.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 10:51:08 PM »
I also do mine kinda on the cheap.  I lay the button down on the work piece and put a dot about 1/16 or so above and below the top and bottom of the button.  Then, using a small punch, like 1/16 to 1/8 I punch the dots and then cut the line.  Simple, not quite..... you have to get a feel for the thickness of the button and as was mentioned above there may be a need to make your slit a bit of an ovoid "hole/cut" in order for a thicker button to pass through easily.  This can add some difficulty to the "operation"...…  pun intended......

I also do the added/lengthened thread attachment thing that was mentioned if I need some separation between button base and attachment point due to thickness of "flap" leather.

JMHO's
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 11:24:10 PM »
Thanks Bruce.  I have two bags I’m finishing up and will try that technique.  I poured the neatsfoot oil to the hole on my first attempt. It worked out but changed the beautiful mahogany bag to overly worn and saturated dark brown.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 04:43:02 PM »
 Once you mark your dots try using a chisel with a little sweep to cut between them. These were done quickly and could look better. The one on the right was done with the punch, I have had it doe years, it is marked Rampamt tool co. On bags I like a wide button hole so you don't have to fight buttoning it, if you button it at all. 

Tim

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 07:10:07 PM »
Tim:  your photos make me dizzy(er).
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2019, 09:42:01 PM »
Tim:  your photos make me dizzy(er).

Yea, I was in a hurry, they're about as shaky as I am :)

Tim 

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2019, 03:39:36 AM »
I blame the dad-gummed autofocus on most cameras...mine has a mind of its own, and never wants to focus on what I want it to.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2019, 06:49:27 AM »
My big bag, the one I use for hunting with my 14 bore rifle, has a flattened .682" ball for the button.
I cut the slot as Taylor does, slice running up, with (originally) a small round hole where the button's thread protrudes.
Over the years - 33 of them, the slot has opened, some.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2019, 06:51:29 AM »
On my upland bag, I stitched two flattened .682" balls to the underside of the flap as weights to hold the flap down without having to latch it on the stud provided.
Picture is the bag before 28 years of use. It does not quite look like that now, but it is still in one piece and a good bag. Pretty good use for a canvas bag. I use it for the
.50 rifle and for smoothbore shooting shot or balls.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mick C

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2019, 12:51:19 AM »
My big bag, the one I use for hunting with my 14 bore rifle, has a flattened .682" ball for the button.
I cut the slot as Taylor does, slice running up, with (originally) a small round hole where the button's thread protrudes.
Over the years - 33 of them, the slot has opened, some.

What a nifty idea to use a flattened ball as a button.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!