Author Topic: BW Rugg  (Read 1587 times)

Offline sdilts

BW Rugg
« on: July 17, 2019, 03:39:40 AM »
Been doing some stock repair work on a friends rifle. I had to take the flintlock out and noticed B.W. Rugg 761 stamped on the inside of the plate. Anybody got an idea who this is?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: BW Rugg
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 07:07:43 PM »
Photos would make identification much easier.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline sdilts

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 03:23:12 AM »
Here's a couple pics of the lock.

Steve

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 03:56:29 AM »
Can't say that I know who B W Rugg is, but since he signed and numbered this Siler lock, I'd guess he was one of the many individuals who purchased Siler kits and assembled and sold them as finished locks.
Could also have been an assembler working directly for Bud Siler, but I'm thinking if so he would not have signed his complete name.

Perhaps Jim Chambers may recognize the name.
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 02:52:20 PM »
That would be Bruce Rugg, a Chicago area resident who built locks back when I was starting out back in the 1970’s.   He built some locks from scratch as I recall.  Jim McLemore has been trying to contact him, so if anyone has any info on his current whereabouts, he’d appreciate it.
Mike Mullins

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 05:01:07 AM »
As an addendum, I suspect this is not a kit lock.   I made the mistake of commenting on his
“ kit lock” the only time I met him, and was informed very strongly in no way shape or form was the lock I was seeing a Kit lock.....it was built in its entirety by him.
Mike Mullins

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 03:21:41 AM »
He might have hand made some locks, but the one pictured was definitely made from a Siler kit sometime before 1991.  I don't recall selling him lock kits after I took over from Bud Siler, so he must have been one of the earlier assemblers  of Siler kits.