Author Topic: Virginia Manufactory Rifle wtb  (Read 870 times)

Offline Born200years2late

• Starting Member
Virginia Manufactory Rifle wtb
« on: July 17, 2019, 06:58:22 PM »
I'm currently looking to purchase a Virginia Manufactory Rifle reproduction. The piece I'd been saving up for for the past year unfortunately sold. I'm looking for any of the earlier models. If anyone has one or knows someone they could put me in contact with I'd appreciate it. I'd be really looking for something below 1600 if I can find it as I'm a student but I'd be open to anything up to about 2k or so depending on the situation.
Thank you.

Offline Tanasi01

• Starting Member
Re: Virginia Manufactory Rifle wtb
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 03:41:37 AM »
I tried this once. Itís very difficult and there are only a few surviving examples of rifles. I have only seen one copy and it wasnít that special. I even had an original lock but just couldnít make it work unless I built something from scratch.

My advice is to get a lock from the rifle shoppe and inlet it yourself into something similar. A decent example is on the NRA museum website. Fairly plain but reasonable to replicate without a complete custom build; which would be outside your budget.

Rifles were all custom made by different gunsmiths so you have some artistic license.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
  • 2005 Transylvania County NC Heritage Day Event
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 04:20:26 AM »
There is a display of VA Manufactory of Arms on display at the VA Historical Society in Richmond. Giles Cromwell was heavily involved with this display. Giles wrote a book on these arms  https://www.amazon.com/Virginia-Manufactory-Arms-Giles-Cromwell/dp/B007EPY6PO but is not available at Amazon. Possibly contact with him would turn one up.

I feel sure some of our builders would be able to build you one of these rifles.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Online Jim Chambers

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 04:27:19 AM »
The late Bob Roughton had one of these in his collection that had been made by Clay Smith in Williamsburg.  This is basically a new/unfired rifle in great condition and as far as I can tell is correct in all respects.  I have been given the task by his estate of finding new homes for Mr. Roughton's collection.  Unfortunately, the lowest price the estate will accept for this rifle is $3,200.
If you need more info or photos I'll be glad to provide whatever you need.  If you want to talk about this I can be reached at 828-667-8361.
Jim Chambers

Offline Born200years2late

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 05:18:31 AM »
Thanks so much for the suggested reading material. I actually had chance to use that book extensively at a previous museum I worked at when putting together an exhibit on early 19th century militia. Building a rifle sounds wonderful but I donít trust myself currently to do that, and the investment in tools and resources would be fairly hefty too for a single project and Iím not at a point where I can do tons of those kinds of projects immediately following this- my skill lies more in leather and cloth work which I do on the side for extra money- hand stitching early 19th century clothing is how I had been saving up for that initial reproduction I had been hoping to get before I was informed the owner had sold it. At this point Iím really looking out to others who might be able or willing to work with me on building one or know of someone who wouldnít mind letting theirís go. Perhaps one day Iíll be better on the gunbuilding bench but for now I lean on yíallís expertise there.

Offline cable

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 09:00:23 PM »
I saw one in this upcoming auction:  may have to search the catalog.... I didn't note the lot number

https://holabirdamericana.liveauctiongroup.com/J-M-Davis-Private-Collection-Firearm-and-Artifact-Auction_as59823_p2

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 12:29:00 AM »
I have most of the parts to replicate the 2nd Model Virginia Mfg. If you can find a builder. The stock pattern is based on the two originals I own. ALso has a Getz swamped barrel contoured to match the originals
Don

Offline cable

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 08:01:50 PM »
00ps !  over looked the part about wanting a reproduction.... sorry