Author Topic: Somerset County Dunmeyer rifle  (Read 2343 times)

Offline Dave Tercek

• Starting Member
Somerset County Dunmeyer rifle
« on: February 02, 2020, 07:59:45 PM »
I bought this little Jonathan Dunmeyer rifle that I saw at the Bushy Run show last week. I was surprised at its small size. It at first appears to be a boys or ladies rifle. I'm told that this was the standard size of his rifles.
Barrel length 35 1/4"
butt plate 3 5/8"
overall length 51 1/8"
It's kind of a slow Sunday morning, thought maybe a few pictures to look at would help.

WESTbury

Re: Somerset County Dunmeyer rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 09:16:47 PM »
That is a great looking rifle.

Similar to Dunmeyer #140220-1 in the Miller Library, but with a longer barrel.

Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 09:24:43 PM by WESTbury »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 03:51:11 PM »
He made very appealing rifles and this is a very nice example. I got to see it at the show. Nice find.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 07:49:52 PM »
Very fine gun. Having owned several Bedford rifles over the years ( None Dunmeyer) 35 inches seem quite short for an original, uncut barrel. Have seen original short barrels ( ~ 38 inches)  on neighboring Huntingdon makers
Hurricane

Offline Bob D

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 12:13:31 AM »
Very nice rifle with all the features we look for on a Sumerset Dunmeyer.   Thanks for the really nice photos and the critical dimensions.  Noting the Mussel photo,do any of you out there know if the pattern on the mussel is just a decoration or is it marks that were left by some kind of tooling that was used in making the barrel?  I have seen the identical markings on the barrels of other Dunmeyer Somerset rifles.  Incidentally, a 36 inch barre (plus or minus an inch} is what is generally expected on a Somerset Dunmeyer; of the 50 that I have seen very few had longer barrels.  Peter Dunmeyer's, Bedford and Early Somerset rifles had barrels of about 42 inches.

Offline Dietle

• Pennsyltucky native
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 03:36:42 AM »
Very nice, Dave Tercek. Any chance I could have your permission to use your photos anonymously on my free Bedford/Somerset County rifle project web page? See https://korns.org/gunsmiths/gunsmith-index.html

Regards,
Lannie Dietle

Offline Dave Tercek

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 03:49:31 AM »
No problem at all. Thanks for asking. If you need additional photos or information, let me know.

Offline Dietle

• Pennsyltucky native
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 03:53:24 AM »
Thank you, David. These will be a nice complement to the photos of the nearly identical Charles Monroe Knupp rifles I have posted.
Regards,
Lannie Dietle

Offline Dietle

• Pennsyltucky native
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 04:20:50 AM »