Author Topic: I found this rifle...  (Read 8273 times)

Offline ericxvi

• Starting Member
Re: I found this rifle...
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2019, 12:01:43 AM »
Christian Siebert from Columbus also used this trigger guard.
 I needed one for the bench copy I was making. Davis sells one that was too short for double set triggers , so I soldered two together.
It works great for off hand shooting.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2019, 06:41:00 PM »
I appreciate the offer, BD.  I did save the picture, and it would be possible, as EricXVI says, make two into one.
It's a pretty little thing, for sure!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Online B.Barker

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2019, 04:51:53 AM »
That's a cool looking rig you found there. Don't find to many rifles that come with their bag and horn set.

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2019, 07:52:35 PM »
Does anyone have some .310.  .315 round balls they'd sell/send me so I can see how it shoots not using split shot? I know I can get rb's from TotW cheap but I'd rather buy a mold if I keep the rifle.

Sorry, but I don't have any lead balls of the size you need.  However, Track has lead round balls in .310", .311", .315", .319", and .320" for under $10.00 per hundred.  If it were me, I wouldn't spend the money on a mould until I knew for sure what size I needed.

You might also consider using buckshot, as the old timers did.  No. 1 buck measures .300", No. 1-1/2 buck is .310", and #0 measures .320".  My dad just about always used buckshot for shooting in his smallbore muzzleloaders, and Ned Roberts commented favorably on this practice in his book, The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle.  The only issue might be that buckshot (even back then) was and still is generally made of an alloy somewhat harder than pure lead.  However, if buckshot works for you with this rifle, it's cheaper than cast or swaged round balls and you don't have to buy a mould or spend the time casting.  I'm willing to bet your new/old rifle has tasted buckshot before.

I also had a question.  There is a tool in that pouch that appears to have a dark wooden handle.  However, my vision is not great and I can't determine what the shank is made of, whether wood or iron.  Is it a short starter?  A screwdriver?  I honestly can't tell.

Anyway, you ended up with a nice rifle, and to have the original accoutrements with it, en suite, makes this outfit exceptional.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2019, 01:52:15 PM »
Is the flap on that bag an actual beaver tail? It almost looks like it.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2020, 09:19:43 PM »
Hey y'all, thinking of selling this rifle, bag and horn. I'd like some input on a fair price. I have a short video of me shooting the rifle. Can email it. I'm thinking $550 plus shipping? Or if you live within 100 miles of Crossville Tn I'll meet you and save shipping. Will be back and forth to N. Ga if that helps. Thanks, SP

Please keep in mind the picture of the target was shot with the (apparently) split shot fishing weights that were in the can in the possibles bag. I'm fairly certain it would do better with a real roundball.

Note from Moderator:  Please do not post inquiries or replies regarding the sale of this rifle here.  Use the thread in the For Sale section.  Here's a link  https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=58270.0

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 12:34:52 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2020, 09:31:52 PM »
How long is the barrel?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2020, 11:35:18 PM »
Hey Rich, barrel length is 36 3/4.  15/16 ATF. Tried to weigh it on my digital bathroom scale but no luck. Closing my eyes it feels like the weight of a garrand, give or take. 8 lbs? +~-?

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2020, 11:42:21 PM »

Offline mossyhorn

• Jerry Dickerson
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2020, 12:15:20 AM »
Squirrel Pizza please email or private message me as I live  near Carthage tn.
Jerry Dickerson

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2020, 12:32:04 AM »
Gentlemen,

Let's keep any discussion, replies, etc., regarding the sale of this rifle over in the thread in the For Sale section.  Here's a link  https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=58270.0

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie