Author Topic: sling help  (Read 1929 times)

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
sling help
« on: July 21, 2019, 03:03:06 AM »
Just put buttons and swivels on a Jaeger/Transitional and a Lancaster early rifle.  Anybody have some advice on what slings ought to look like around 1750 or where I can go to see for myself ?

Thanks

Capgun

Offline Marcruger

Re: sling help
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 03:40:11 PM »

This is all I have, but it is nearly useless.  It appears to attach to the trigger guard front.  The muzzle end would also certainly have to attach to a stirrup sling attachment on the foreend, presumably through a barrel lug? 

I would contact James Rogers.  He studies lots of old paintings and engravings, and may have advice for you.  He can also make the associated period metal work.  I would use James as the "one stop shop" for a Jaeger sling. 

Ed Wenger has also studied the early Jaegers, and may have some advice. 

Hope this helps.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 03:47:19 PM »
I have been meaning to post on this very subject.  One of my students (Beverly Decman) an accomplished weaver as well as engraver was loaned an original linen sling. This sling was on a Paul Poser Jaeger owned at the time by Lynton McKenzie. Beverly analyzed the weave and materials, then produced a reproduction for Lynton. Beverly kindly furnished me with a photo and chart of details. I have shared this with Kerry Masarik who is now making the slings to order. I will photograph one of her slings and post later today .  I have one of her slings that I will have at the CLA show for sale.   Kerry's work can be seen at www.hornandfiber.com

I am sure there are other variations of slings styles to be found on Jaeger Rifles. This is the only one that I have confidence in the details. 

« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 04:40:38 PM by Ron Scott »

Offline emmagee

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 05:41:19 PM »
I have been meaning to post on this very subject.  One of my students (Beverly Decman) an accomplished weaver as well as engraver was loaned an original linen sling. This sling was on a Paul Poser Jaeger owned at the time by Lynton McKenzie. Beverly analyzed the weave and materials, then produced a reproduction for Lynton. Beverly kindly furnished me with a photo and chart of details. I have shared this with Kerry Masarik who is now making the slings to order. I will photograph one of her slings and post later today .  I have one of her slings that I will have at the CLA show for sale.   Kerry's work can be seen at www.hornandfibler.com

I too am looking for a sling for my American Jaeger....I would love to see your sling

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 10:20:20 PM »
I had Kerry make me a copy of the Paul Poser Jaeger rifle sling but lengthened and adapted to provide for several different lengths on my bench copy of the RCA 19 "sister rifle". The original is apparently very short and at best gives the user a few inches of gap between the rifle and the sling for suspending the rifle over the shoulder - barely.  Regardless, she does great work.

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 07:36:39 AM »
Given the diversity of swivel locations observed on original rifles, any reproduction would be most useful made to order.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 06:35:10 AM »
Sling loop just in front of the middle pipe and button under the cheek piece.
at trackofthewolf

Similar sling loop on my sporting rifle.  Full stocked guns (Euro) had similar loops running across under the barrel, between the rod pipes.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 08:05:25 PM »
Thanks Daryl...that's where I put 'em.  I'll post some pics when I finish the sling.