Author Topic: CLA Items - Bag #16 - Wallet - Lemons and Lemonade  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Marcruger

CLA Items - Bag #16 - Wallet - Lemons and Lemonade
« on: July 21, 2019, 03:31:07 PM »
Here are two items that I hope will find a home at CLA.  There is a story behind them.  A good friend asked if I could make her a cell phone case.  I had never done one, but of course said, "Yes".  On try number four, I got it right and you'll see it at the bottom.  Two earlier tries were looking good, but ultimately the wrong size, so I repurposed them.  Making lemonade out of lemons. 

First is a moulded-front belt bag or pouch (#16), 4"x7", 4-5 ounce cowhide.  Since I had never moulded a bag piece before, it was a fun learning experience.  The belt straps (for 2" belt) on the reverse have small welts at the top to make it easier to put it on a belt, and it protects the stitching.  Could be good for a firestarter, tools, or just a short day hunt.  The inside is 1/2" deep.  The color here is what I mean when I say the "vinegaroon look" can be achieved easily with dye.  This is Fiebing's Pro Dye, neatsfoot oil, and top wax/mink oil finish.  From the looks of these photos, I have more work to do on the edge of the flap (some fuzzies left). 

The second project is a pretty simple rolled wallet.  I added a divider down the middle so someone can have cards on one side and cash on the other.  It could also be used as a tool kit or similar.  It is made of light 2-3 ounce cowhide. 

I hope y'all enjoy the photos.  I look forward to seeing everyone at CLA.   God Bless, and best wishes,   Marc

Wallet below

Cell Phone case that started all of this below with matching keyring....

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: CLA Items - Bag #16 - Wallet - Lemons and Lemonade
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 03:38:41 PM »
That is very nice work!

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 03:44:01 PM »
 Nice work Mac, Well done.

Tim

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 03:56:50 PM »
Mighty fine work.
Andover, Vermont

Offline WH1

• Capall Mara Forge Website
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 04:03:16 PM »
very nice Marc, really like the color on the first piece.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 04:59:47 PM »
Very nice, Marc!  I really like those.  What color dye are you using for the lighter colored pieces?  I find it very appealing.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 05:12:06 PM »
Hi Greg,

It is Fiebing's Pro Dye "Saddle Tan" thinned heavily with alcohol. 

I stop two shades lighter than I want the final finish.  Neatsfoot oil will drop the color one level darker.  My final finish does the same. 

Repeated applications of the thinned Saddle Tan will give you a russet shade in my experience. 

I hope this helps.  God Bless,  Marc

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 06:42:14 PM »
I like them Marc. You know I've done a lot of tack molding but I have never made anything for myself.  Makes me want to do a horizontal holster for my cell phone. It's fine to have in a front or back pants pocket when standing but a real pain when sitting.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 03:16:18 AM »
I hear you James. I always wear shirts with pockets for that very reason. I also lean towards small cell phones.  Best wishes, and God bless, Marc

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 03:38:43 PM »
They look great, Mark. I’m sure they won’t have any trouble finding new homes. Keep up the great work.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 06:06:19 PM »
Well done Marc!  Nice design and well executed. 
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."