Author Topic: Deer antler questions  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Deer antler questions
« on: July 25, 2019, 04:21:14 AM »
I am trying to find a source for good antlers for turning powder horn tips.   They are available online, mostly as sheds.   For my use, they need to be solid bone with not a lot of pith in the center.   I was given a bunch of antlers still attached to the skull that have worked well for me for handles and tips.  I have subsequently bought sheds that didn't work so well as there was too much pith.    Does anyone know if there is a biological relationship between sheds and attached antlers and the amount of pith in them?   

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Deer antler questions
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 07:57:31 AM »
Mark, I suspect that antlers are as individual as people.  Some are more solid without the core than others.  My observation is that white tailed deer antlers are usually very solid, as are the tips of moose antlers.  Elk isn't worth cutting, in spite of the beautiful outside surface.  Not much help, I know.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 11:49:18 AM »
Mark.  Axis deer antlers is what you should be looking for they are solid they have a tiny hole through the middle

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 03:53:07 PM »
 When you get them still on the skull don't just cut them off right at the end. Cut them so part of the skull is still attached, as an extension of the antler itself. Use the solid end to cut your threads in/on, once the pouring hole is drilled you should have a pretty solid tip.
 One thing you want to stay away from is old antler that has turned chalky White, I have found that it is really soft no matter what part of the antler it comes from.
 Caribou is another that is really solid and has a nice color, cleaned up it looks a lot like Ivory. This may sound strange but the trouble I have using Caribou, Axis, Sika Deer, etc... antler is that it wasn't available in the area where the style of horn that it is used on were made. Just one of my little Idiosyncrasies.

Tim

PS: Funny...I don't have a problem using electricity though ;) TC

« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 03:57:58 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline TN Longhunter

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 04:38:34 PM »
Taylor pretty much nailed it. Species will determine pith vs solid. Whitetail is the best for horn work. As deer age the racks increase in size until the deer is past prime. Then the size will decrease overall while staying heavy/thick. Very little pith compared to younger deer. So, only look for sheds in areas know to be hangouts of old, crusty, retired deer.
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA

Offline John Proud

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 04:59:01 PM »
Mark,
  Leaving for Dixon's now.  If you are at Dixon's stop to see me. I have had a good local source, at least in the past. If we don't meet at Dixon's then give me a call 607-591-6863 to discuss.

John

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 05:24:30 PM »
John,

I was going to Dixon's, but I had a health setback and will not be going this year.     Thanks, for the offer of help.

Best,

Mark

Offline aaronc

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 08:16:41 AM »
As stated stay away from old weathered antler of any species for your use. Elk antler does have a very open matrix when cut in to...also not good for your use.

Moose antler will have some softer spots within the paddle but over all is also the hardest. That or whitetail would be your picks..dont think I've carved on any other types.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 11:45:33 PM »
I just thought that I would let you all know that I ordered five pounds (turned out to be three large antlers) of grade A, Axis deer antler off of ebay.   I just got them.   I partially cut up one of them and got four pieces big enough for a whole powder horn tip 3/4" to 1" in diameter.   I could get several more pieces out of the rest of that antler for a tip that could be attached to a horn collar (I have lots of horn round cut-offs for collars).    I think that I will get enough usable material out of the three antlers to make the $105 investment well worthwhile considering that I pay $17 a piece for horn rounds that yield only one tip per round.   I anticipate that the cost per antler tip will be well less than $10 a piece. Just letting everybody know.  Here is a link to the ebay listing:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/113684799268    There are more antlers left if you need any.   

Offline aaronc

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 04:42:43 AM »
Mark....if you have a cross section cut that you could post I'd be interested in seeing it. -Aaron
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 08:51:34 PM »
Here are photos of the Axis antler sheds that I received.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2019, 11:37:49 PM »
Looks like great material with almost no pith. 

Offline aaronc

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 05:18:41 AM »
Mark..thanks for posting. Those look great to work with. I've never had my hands on the Axis. Here is some elk for your comparison...it contains a bit less pith/matrix toward the burr but certainly still there. Even in some of the larger areas of the antler it is very thin walled. I've carved on it several times,...the porous stuff is of limited use for most in my opinion. Best - Aaron

- Aaron C
At the work bench.