Author Topic: ALR at Dixon's  (Read 1893 times)

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
ALR at Dixon's
« on: July 29, 2019, 01:04:18 AM »
Hey Guys,  Just returned home from Dixon's.  Thought I would post a bit about the fair this year.  I manage to attend all three days as I am fortunate to live less than 30 mi. away.  Many thanks to our ALR teachers and mentors who give their time and knowledge to provide IMO some of the best learning opportunities one could find(and all for the cost of $5 to park!!).   The fair seemed to be well attended this year as opposed to recent years.  The seminars were full, most with standing room only.  The weather was great, warm but really no humidity until later today.  There were more than double the gun entries this year as opposed to last year.  I believe the number was 40+ guns entered in the show, and some real fine work at that.  I have some pics below of our hard working seminar instructors as well as some of the ribbons.  If I missed anyone, I apologize and please add yourself to the post.  Once again thanks to all the guys from ALR and to the Dixon family for putting on a great celebration of the American Longrifle.  TommyG

Our ALR "A" team - John Cholin, Tom Curran, Dave & Nils Person, Rich & Susan Pierce taking a well deserved lunch break Sunday morning.  Notice how Rich is knapping flint to give the lunch a little extra crunch.

Over 40 guns entered in the show this year

ALR member John Guido's beautiful Bucks county rifle - 3rd place ribbon - apprentice class

John Guido's really cool composite gun won the Judges Choice Award

Yours truly - Christian Spring short gun - 2nd & 3rd place ribbons - master class

Finally, this was the icing on the cake for a great weekend that I thought everyone here would appreciate.  Although not ALR members(yet), the father/daughter team of Eric & Kallie Borneman.  Eric won a 2nd place ribbon in the apprentice class, daughter Kallie won first in the junior division, and (2) 3rd place ribbons in the apprentice class(yes, with the big guys).  Kallie is just 10 yrs. old!!  We asked what the hardest part of her build was - her answer was patience.

M.D.H. Flintlock

Re: ALR at Dixon's
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 04:54:22 PM »
It was a wonderful weekend and great to see all the entry’s this year.  Everyone deserves recognition for entering their work to be viewed!!     We are all working hard so that it’s not an intimidating process!  The goal is to support and educate!!!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 05:49:36 PM »
Thanks for this thread.  I sure miss seeing all you lads.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 06:26:59 PM »
Awesome, especially thanks for the update on Eric and Kallie, I was wondering how they did!  They're supposed to come sight her rifle in at my place this weekend, then it's my job to put a deer in front of her with that thing this fall.   ;)

Our crew was there Saturday for a few hours and the seminars all seemed packed.  Glad to see the judging tables full, too.  Still a great event, but it seems like noticeably fewer vendors than 10 years ago, although I know quite a few have passed away in that time.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline guido

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 09:43:11 PM »
Tom, you did great! You should be happy! Great to meet you and look forward to more . Looking forward to seeing your next gun.
Thanks John

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 11:11:50 PM »
Thanks John.  I'm looking forward to your next build as well..  I also would like to give a shout to the judges at Dixon's.  They most certainly had their hands full this past weekend and continue to do a stellar job of giving us feedback for future builds.  I always look back at my critique sheets when working on another build and look to improve in the areas that need work.  5 critiques later and I still can't seem to get that darned lower forearm just right.  Thanks Guys for your work as well.

Offline tiswell

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 01:38:54 AM »
Thanks to all of those who shared their time and talents doing seminars and demonstrations for the fair goers. I sat in on many of them, took notes, had a lot of "aha that is how it is done moments" and thoroughly enjoyed all three days.

Thanks, Bill Nash

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 03:11:08 AM »
Thanks for posting the pictures.   As Daryl said it was really good to see some of the faces again.  I really hope I can make that trip at least once more.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"