Author Topic: dry ball  (Read 3799 times)

Offline walt53

dry ball
« on: July 30, 2019, 02:25:43 AM »
I;m new to flint locks and was wondering if you could shoot a dry ball out the same or similar to a percussion.  thanks walt

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: dry ball
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 02:58:21 AM »
Sure, dribble priming powder through the touch hole then prime pan and fire downrange.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 03:07:26 AM »
Yes you can, BUT, I would advise that you take it to a local club that has a C-02 discharger. Talk to someone there about either pulling the ball, picking powder in the liner, or discharging. The last course of action would be to disassemble the gun and remove the breech plug. You can get yourself into a whole bunch of trouble without knowledge. Learn the best way to do it without doing damage to your gun or yourself. This is not something that I would try without an expert nearby.
I’m assuming that you’ve already dry-balled it of course.
Good luck.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 03:27:56 AM »
If you don't listen to Wayne's excellent advice above and try to drill/screw and pull the ball on your own (assuming trickle trick is no bueno), SOAK WITH OIL first.  And never* ever try to pull anything with a wooden stick. Steel is preferred, but I got one out with a brass range rod once too. 

Local assistance by knowledgeable shooters is -most- preferred though.

Good luck.

*I ruined my first rammer that way, but also because was dry. Lack of guidance at that point.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 06:39:06 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 04:30:49 AM »
We've pulled many with the rifle's rod, but it is easier with a steel rod, as Wade notes.
Easiest is to have a 'bushed' drill (bushing holds the drill in the middle of the bore) and drill a small hole first, like about 1/8". Then
run in the ball screw (TOTWolf sells them) you buy or make yourself, bushed would be better. Run the screw in, and pull the ball out - no biggie.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline retired fella

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 05:19:54 AM »
And when you get enough of them you can make yourself a dandy necklace.  IF I had saved all of my dryballs it would be like a millstone around my neck.  You know how some people can't walk and chew gum at the same time.  I'm the same way trying to talk and load.  Oh well, can't teach an old dog etc., etc.     ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 06:11:52 AM »
Retired fella is right. I do keep a CO2 discharged in my shooting box and a ball puller screw/bushing in my box and bag. I agree with the earlier posts to use a range rod if possible. I do do carry a brass ramrod puller I got from Jas. Townsends in my shooting bag. Hope I never have to use it but does look period correct.
I haven't dry balled very many times but each time I was talking while reloading. DON'T DO IT!
So sayeth the "Muskrat"
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 11:44:19 PM »
I've, ahem! dry balled a few times and pulled a few with a steel range rod.  But this can be difficult with tight loads and arthritic hands.  While trickling in powder to blow out a dryball works great, it helps if the powder is 4F or finer.  3F is pretty difficult to get through most vent holes but not too difficult for most percussions.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 12:59:45 AM »
Now that i mainly shoot a smoothbore, and have embraced paper cartridges , I never have to concern myself with dry balling  :)    Tear off the end, stuff the whole  works down, and ..done !  My cartridges are tapered, so that kind of eliminates putting them in upside down  ;D   Aging has some benefits after all !

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 11:35:08 PM »
  Aging has some benefits after all !

Can ya' name one more???   ???
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 11:56:56 PM »
My cartridges are tapered, so that kind of eliminates putting them in upside down ;D   Aging has some benefits after all !

I had to chuckle when I read that, Bob. ;D
Daryl

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2019, 09:35:47 PM »
There are really only two variants of people in our world - those who have dryballed, and those who are going to.

Hanshi, the only other advantage I know of is cheaper coffee at McDonalds.  But it ain't worth all the aches and pains, believe me!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 04:27:17 AM »
Shot my fair share of dry balls out....drissle some 4F powder in the touch hole or nipple.... Less Talking will reduce dry balls.....

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2019, 07:29:53 PM »
Not cool JW, not cool at all.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2019, 08:04:52 PM »
There are touch hole attachments for CO2 discharges. I never shoot or hunt without one. I always get squeamish when someone grabs the butt of the gun & another tryst to pull a ball with a rod. Sometimes dry balls aren't really dry. I've never seen a discharge in that situation, but I ain't betting against it.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Molly

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2019, 10:21:50 PM »
Nessmuck is right.  Talking while loading or having someone distract you by talking to you is the biggest cause.  I have been tempted to make a sign to stick on my hat.....

"DON'T TALK TO ME...I'M SHOOTING"

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2019, 12:54:09 AM »
Well, Well, Well I just got back from the range today. Several guys came around to see my beautiful Jim Kibler SMR shoot. Got telling one of them how it all works and you guessed it. Dry balled it. Fortunately mine is a .40 caliber so the range rod screw and bushing pulls it right out with little effort. Would have used the CO2 discharger but go figure I am out of CO2 charger tubes.
Like the idea of the sign "don't bother me I am shooting".

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2019, 01:42:40 AM »
Oh and the talking doesn't just make a dry ball more likely.  I've seen double powder charges (wow that was a lot louder than the last shot), double round balls (one shot but two holes in the target), and the best of them.....firing a perfectly good ram rod down range (talk about recoil !).   :o :o ;)

P.S.  Don't ask me WHO I have seen do all of this
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2019, 08:05:04 PM »
LOL- Dave - a double charge in the .69 can get your attention, whether it is double powder, or simply 2, 480gr. round balls.
Daryl

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2019, 08:14:40 PM »
While shooting at the Ontario Provincial matches in Chatham, I got into a conversation, and accidentally double charged my 10 bore  [ smoothbore match ]   .  240 gr of FFg and a .735 ball will wake you up in the morning.  ;D

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2019, 01:49:49 AM »
So will 330gr. 2F GOEX - a double load in the .69. Did that once while chronographing.
I was shooting sitting on a chunk of wood. That shot picked me up into the standing position.
Me feet were slightly behind me. As I was lifted up off my "chair", I was rocked into standing.
So- guess my rifle was proofed that day. Did that once since, but I was standing, so no big deal.
Daryl

Offline recurve

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2019, 02:34:17 AM »
I have to quit reading these postings>>>---> I red this one this week and you guessed it, I had my first dry ball ever, today .  green mountain barrel .50 flinter  I pre-measure my loads 5 at a time  5 tubes of powder 5 patches 5 balls  and a witness marked range rod   well some how I got the load order mixed up  patch ball no powder  >:( (1st time in 25yrs+) shooting muzzleloaders had to trickle powder in the touch hole (pushed in with pick) got it out not a bang more of a wush

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2019, 04:49:54 AM »
I pull  several loaded rounds a year during deer and turkey season. I like to keep my rifles loaded but sometimes want a fresh load, just in case. I use a 3/8 brass range rod with a pinned handle to screw the ball puller into the ball. I keep a small diameter rope hanging outside  my shot with a loop on the bitter end. I slip the loop over the handle and cinch it tight. The rope is at a height that keeps the rifle pointing up. Then a couple of sharp jerks gets the ball started and a long pull clears the barrel. Real simple and easy. Everybody should learn and practice ball pulling.
There's no reason for anybody to hold the rod while another guy jerks on the loaded rifle. There's always tree trunks and limbs to tie to.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2019, 05:28:03 PM »
All of my rifle rods have tips on both ends, one in 8X32 and one in 10X32, both pinned. I only use them to pull a ball if I am away from a range, if at a range I have a steel range rod. I made some handles that carry both 8X32 and 10X32 screws and are drilled for the screws to pass through the handle into the rod. They have come in handy a number of times and no matter what thread your ball puller has, it will fit.
Mark
Mark

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2019, 06:28:59 PM »
There are two types of people in this sport....... those that HAVE dry balled,
And those that LIE about it.  It's gonna happen.!
In His grip,

Dane