Author Topic: Jaeger  (Read 6698 times)

Offline Adrie luke

Jaeger
« on: July 31, 2019, 08:44:05 PM »
Hi,

Hans Muller is also a member of ALR and lives also in The Netherlands.
Sometimes I visit him and show him the rifles I made on scale.
Hans is older and not longer very strong.
Two weeks ago I visited him and he asked me to make the barrel in the stock in his Jaeger rifle,
he started to build some time ago.
For me it is the first time I hold such a rifle on full scale.
It is easier to work with than the ones I build on scale.
He told me the story of this rifle and some things of his live, that are great story's to hear.

Adrie

I have made the barrel in the stock and will look what else I can do.

The Flintlock is made by Korte from Amsterdam.

Hans had also some drawings, he allowed me to copy them.
He had a drawing of an old lock on full scale.
I share the drawing with you.

Offline heinz

Re: Jaeger
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 11:01:54 PM »
Very interesting.  Nice work on the barrel inlet.  Thanks for posting
kind regards, heinz

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 11:47:53 PM »
Interesting project, Andre. I will enjoy watching this as all of your threads. Thank You.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline DutchGramps

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 02:38:00 PM »
Yes, I tried to lift too much hay with the pitchfork and at 86  I paid the cost of that....Fortunately, I have a few good friends . And for the long rifles I am very fortunate to have met Adrie, who is truly a master with file and chisel.
High on my bucket list was  recreating a Jaeger, using original parts, and it was here that Adrie stepped in. (Another item on that list is an old WW2 motorcycle, but that’s perhaps a subject for “Over the Back Fence”)
A few details about that Jaeger; the barrel is an original twist steel one, I picked up in Yemen, some 25 years ago, together with a few very long matchlock barrels. I proof-fired it behind the house with a double charge of black powder and two balls, no problem. The rifling however is in a very sorry state, but freshing the barrel was programmed to be done after I retired 20 years ago....
The lock is an original flintlock made by Gaspar Korte, who was active in Amsterdam around 1820. The steel furniture: butt plate, trigger guard, ramrod pipes, are from TotW, also ordered decades ago...
Now about the Law; here in the Netherlands you can’t make a new flintlock, cap lock or even a matchlock  without a licence, and there are strict rules for such a licence. So no market here for Jim Kibler and his kits... But since barrel and lock are old and original, no problem!
Needless to say that I am grateful Adrie was aware of my problems, and he did the inletting in a few days where I had failed . Thanks Adrie !
Real bikes are kick-started....

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 07:11:14 PM »
Sorry to hear you've wounded yourself, DutchGramps. Thank you for the explanation on the building of this piece.
Years ago, 1989, the Chief of Police from Amsterdam told me of the gun laws in your county. He and some of the
foremen from Amsterdam were attending the World Police and Fire Games in B.C. I got to speak to most of them.
Good men.(but not good shots)
Daryl

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 11:11:03 PM »
Hans and I met through this site, and have exchanged email and stuff for several years.  I'm delighted that you are finally getting to your rifle, Hans, and am anxious to see it completed.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 07:39:40 AM »
Yes, I tried to lift too much hay with the pitchfork and at 86  I paid the cost of that....Fortunately, I have a few good friends . And for the long rifles I am very fortunate to have met Adrie, who is truly a master with file and chisel.
High on my bucket list was  recreating a Jaeger, using original parts, and it was here that Adrie stepped in. (Another item on that list is an old WW2 motorcycle, but that’s perhaps a subject for “Over the Back Fence”)
A few details about that Jaeger; the barrel is an original twist steel one, I picked up in Yemen, some 25 years ago, together with a few very long matchlock barrels. I proof-fired it behind the house with a double charge of black powder and two balls, no problem. The rifling however is in a very sorry state, but freshing the barrel was programmed to be done after I retired 20 years ago....
The lock is an original flintlock made by Gaspar Korte, who was active in Amsterdam around 1820. The steel furniture: butt plate, trigger guard, ramrod pipes, are from TotW, also ordered decades ago...
Now about the Law; here in the Netherlands you can’t make a new flintlock, cap lock or even a matchlock  without a licence, and there are strict rules for such a licence. So no market here for Jim Kibler and his kits... But since barrel and lock are old and original, no problem!
Needless to say that I am grateful Adrie was aware of my problems, and he did the inletting in a few days where I had failed . Thanks Adrie !
So, in theory you could use any antique lock and barrel to build a gun without restrictions? Pistols as well?

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 11:36:15 AM »
Hi,

Last Saturday I brought the Jaeger back to Hans Muller.
He asked me to put the barrel in the stock, only the barrel tang was a lot of work and difficult for me.
He gave me the Flintlock for the measures, but I was so enthusiastic that I made the lock in the stock for him.
I also made the side plate from an old piece of messing.
Now I am sure that the lock bolts are in the right place.
I did what I could do, the rest is for Hans. Later on I will help him whit things for the Jaeger.

Adrie

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 01:15:58 PM »
That is going to be a great gun!!

Best regards
Rolf

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 02:39:29 PM »
Nice project. I’d have done a lot of shaping before defining and finalizing the lock panels or engraved the sideplate. What is the web thickness at the muzzle?
Andover, Vermont

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 04:16:30 PM »
The stock needs to be all round before you put your carved lock panels on. You're going to end up very square in that area. Read my tutorial, you might find it helpful.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 06:51:45 PM »
The panels are still too large, so Hans can shape up the stock around the lock and eliminate the incised carving in that process.  He should be able to work around the side plate without damaging the engraving.  Good luck Hans and stay at it my friend.
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 06:58:14 PM »
As a follow up to my post, here's how I did mine...

D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 12:58:05 AM »
Nice tight panels, and the incised line at the foot of the rise really sets them up nicely.  Beautiful Jaeger!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 02:30:43 AM »
Mike Brooks,
I have already read your tutorial, thanks.
Hans will finish the rifle and make everything in the right shape.

Offline DutchGramps

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 03:34:20 PM »
This week I took courage, and tried to do some work in the garage. That 1800-something barrel had already been a bit draw-filed, and yesterday I did some etching with copper sulphate; results revealed a nice, simple Damast pattern, nothing fancy, just what I like for everyday use by a game warden in the first half of the 19th century.
But I have second thoughts about the furniture: iron or brass? All the iron I already have, but for brass I lack a typical Jaeger trigger guard in malleable  67/33 brass; where can I find one ?

Real bikes are kick-started....

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 03:47:29 PM »
That's a great barrel. What do you consider a "typical" Jeager trigger guard to look like?
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 05:41:39 PM »
Hans,

That looks great!

If you want to use the iron I will  copy the brass side plate in iron for you.
It will be a great Jaeger!
You hear from me when we are back from the U.S.

Adrie

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2019, 07:07:27 PM »
Hi,

Hans Muller gave me a trigger guard, but to tell the truth he wanted an other one.
I found on the internet what he wanted and I changed the trigger guard he gave me into what he wanted.

Hans has not worked on the Jaeger any more and I picked it up and drilled the ramrod hole,
installed the bud plate and cut out and filed a lot of wood.
This is no longer a hobby, this is hard working!
Later I will cut out more wood.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2019, 08:17:25 PM »
Nice work, Andre.
Daryl

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2019, 01:31:45 PM »
This post holds an enormous value for all of us. Please keep it and all the pics going, folks.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2019, 05:28:44 PM »
This is no longer a hobby, this is hard working!

Over here, this is what we call "a labor of Love". Great work on a really neat project.
We Americans take too much for granted,
Best regards, Dave F in WVa 8) 8)

Always fascinated by your work.

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2019, 06:56:45 PM »
Hello,

For me the Jaeger is ready, so I show you the final pictures.
I also made the bolts and the silver front sight.
Hans Muller has to color the rifle and buy some ramrod pipes.
This is how Hans wanted his Jaeger, no carving.
Now I realize that I build my first real rifle.
Thanks for all the help!

Greetings,
Adrie

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2019, 09:08:35 PM »
Do you have any access to original jeagers you can compare to? Having an old one in hand would be a great help to get the architecture right as you're building.

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2019, 10:27:51 PM »
Mike,

Hans Mulller gave me this drawing from Track and Wolff as an example.
This is the way he likes his rifle to be.

The stock has a natural round, but it fits well.