Author Topic: J.M. Chandler?  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Stormrider51

J.M. Chandler?
« on: August 03, 2019, 07:56:24 PM »
I recently acquired a very nicely made Lancaster style rifle that I'd like to learn something about.  The barrel is marked "G.R. Douglas  .45 cal" and "J.M. CHANDLER".  I believe that last to be the makers name of course.  The flintlock is stamped "RUSS HAMM" on the inside of the plate and is left-handed.  It was the left-handedness that caught my eye on the online auction site.  The seller stated the barrel was "unmarked" and the lock was a Siler.  I guess he had never removed the lock and barrel from the stock.  The last feature that may be helpful in placing this rifle in time and place of manufacture is an inscription on the l
patchbox lid that reads "Nemo Me Impune Lacassit".  This is the motto of the Scottish royal family from at least the 1750's and is still used by the "Order of the Thistle" and at least one military regiment.  It translates to " You will not cut/strike/injure me and get away with it".

I would appreciate any information you can provide about Mr. Chandler and/or, and I know I'm talking long shot here, this rifle.  I have one other request.  I am fully aware of the controversy regarding both Douglas muzzleloader barrels and Russ Hamm's locks.  There's no need to tell me about it.  Let's not make this into a "rant thread".
Regards,
John

free image hosting