Author Topic: How far should the pick go in  (Read 2428 times)

Offline nemovir

How far should the pick go in
« on: August 03, 2019, 08:06:01 PM »
I’ve been using a paper clip to pick the flash hole, I finally got a pick from TOTW.  Am I suppose to sand the tip?  it doesn’t go in very far.

Smokey Plainsman

Re: How far should the pick go in
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 08:26:33 PM »
It need only go so far as to pierce the fouling about the touchhole. Penetration of too much can lead to pinging of the rear wall.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 07:14:05 PM »
Many commercial picks, especially forged ones, need to have the working part reduced by grinding or filing, so that the shaft of the pick is smaller than the vent hole.  Otherwise, you'll walloon your vent hole in short order.  I try to pierce the charge within the barrel when I pick.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 11:37:05 PM »
My opinion is that I want a brass pick, smaller diameter than the touch hole.  Protects the flash hole. 

I was taught that a pick will clear fouling (logically), but it also makes a channel into the compressed powder charge.  This allows the flame into the center of the charge for more consistent, faster ignition.  I was taught by a target shooter who has shot at Friendship for years....and brings home medals. 

I run a pick into the charge right after I wipe the pan & frizzen (given time) and before I prime the pan.

For hunting?  I'd still pick for that first load of the day, but not bother for any follow-up shots.   

I hope this helps.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 01:02:03 AM »
From what I read on this it sounds like some of you pick on every shot or most every shot is this true? I only pick like every 10th shot and that is because I just wiped the flint, pan and frizzen. If you do I would very much like to here why. I am not saying anyone is more right than the other it just seems to me the less you stick picks in the vent hole or vent liner the less chance there is to damage the hole. Again please respond if you read this thread. I might just have been doing it wrong all along and there is a very good reason to do it.
As always "The Muskrat" thanks you.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline nemovir

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 02:26:39 AM »
I “pick”,  more often than not, mostly out of habit with the paper clip.  I truly don’t know if it’s necessary.  Got the forged pick because it look cooler.  :P

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 05:48:53 AM »
I leave the pick in while I load. I taper the "pick" (coat hanger wire filed to shape, fat end bent in a loop) so the pick stops against the flash hole with the tip just shy of the opposite barrel wall.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 06:19:49 AM »
I rarely use a pick... But I guess I need to ditch my safety pin and buy or make one. I have access to tons of scrap copper wire. I might make one.

Mike

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 06:43:48 AM »
NOT historically correct, but I carry a welders nozzle pick set in my bag.  The various diameters allows me to use just the right pick size, no matter which rifle I have with me.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 07:02:23 AM »
The problem with welder so "tip cleaners" (other than not even close to historically correct) is the hardness of the metal and the ribbed texture will play havoc with your vent or liner.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 05:34:36 AM »
I pick after a shot.....and pick after loading...works best for me

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 05:49:59 AM »
So????
 If you guys and it sounds like there are a lot out there that pick after every shot or pick before loading I take it you don't use the pick & brush combo set with a chain and wire holder. Where do you keep your pick that's easily accessible? Mine currently is attached to a chain along with a brush to my shooting bag. Seems like a pain to pull it loose to pick after every shot but even an Irishman can be trained if need be. If you do something that works better send pictures if possible.
REALLY, REALLY want to hear from you guys out there on this one.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2019, 05:18:18 PM »
I have to agree with Macgruder and Brokrnock. The primary purpose of the pick is to get the flame as close to the center of the charge as possible as quickly as possible.
Mark
Mark

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 06:30:58 PM »
I hang my vent pick from a string on my trigger guard on the rifle I use for competitive shooting.  I started picking before every shot a few months ago and everything feels more consistent.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mick C

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 07:27:44 PM »
Ditto.  Another vote for picking before each shot.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2019, 09:35:54 PM »
I very rarely pick the vent hole unless I happen to get a FITP.  I do sometimes put a pick, feather or something in the vent when loading the first shot for a day of hunting but that's about it.  Only two rifles , both SMR squirrel shooters, have a vent pick.  I installed pick inlays on them just under the cheek rest.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2019, 08:31:14 AM »

Because I leave it in the flash hole while loading I don't use the pick and brush set on a chain. Also I haven't had much luck getting the pan nice and clean with a brush. So, not having one of those cool pick mounts under the cheek piece on the stock, I attach the wire to the frizzen stall tether. Not sure if you can see it in the pics, but, I used to tie it to the tag end of the corsage used to tie the stall to the trigger guard,,,,, too much stuff dangling and tangling. Now I just pass the main tether through the loop in the wire before tying off the trigger guard.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2019, 03:45:29 PM »
I use a dried grass stalk if I need one. Don't carry a pick.
Brass would be my choice.
A piece of small diameter piano wire is good .050" or so its perfectly smooth and spring steel.
The need to pick is generally related to flakes of fowling in the bore. Powder charge is light (low temp) or the powder is low grade.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2019, 03:58:23 PM »
I make my own vent liners.
I want the main charge right next the prime.
I don't brush or pick. But I live in west edge of the "Great American Desert" and don't have high humidity to deal with. Though just at sunup its 54 degrees and the humidity is 94% according to my little weather station thing but then it rained last night at least twice. Soon as the temp comes up the humidity will plummet. If its over 40% here its usually raining or threatening. As a result I don't have liquid fouling unless I get the rifle in the snow without a cover after I shoot it. Often there is no handy tree or bush and I laid the rifle on the deer to go collect the other one and was not careful enough....
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine