Author Topic: “Recycling” a Rifle?  (Read 3235 times)

Smokey Plainsman

“Recycling” a Rifle?
« on: August 03, 2019, 08:55:32 PM »
Builders, in the event that a rifle’s stock becomes heavily damaged to the point of needing a new one, or in the event of an owner desiring a whole new stock due to poor architecture or other aesthetic desires, can a rifle be “recycled”?

What I mean, is that if the barrel and lock are in good shape, among other components, can they be re-used and simply reinstalled and fitted in a fresh stock? It seems it could save a cash-strapped owner from having to pay for completely new components. In addition, he would already be familiar with the correct load for his barrel and other intricacies such as the proper flint setup and so on.

If “recycling” the barrel, lock, buttplate, triggers, and sideplate, for example, how much would be a fair price to have the rifle re-stocked?

Just curious, all. Thanks! :)

-Smokey

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: “Recycling” a Rifle?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 10:02:46 PM »
.....can a rifle be “recycled”?

Yes.

If “recycling” the barrel, lock, buttplate, triggers, and sideplate, for example, how much would be a fair price to have the rifle re-stocked?

About the same as having a rifle built, less the cost of the parts.  Actually it might cost more, since the builder will have deal with lugs, pin holes, screw holes, etc. that are already there.  That price is highly variable, depending on how well the maker is known, if the stock is to be carved or not, how fancy the wood, etc.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline satwel

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 10:19:09 PM »
Of course.  I have done it several times - I reused the barrels, locks, triggers and other components of my first two, poorly-built, rifles to build much better rifles after I gained more experience and a better eye for proper architecture.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 12:57:33 AM »
Go for it, either Lewis, or Clark's long rifle needed a new stock on their jaunt across the West, starting back in 1805 (I think?).
Their gun smith re-stocked it. I do not recall the type of wood he used, or if it was mentioned in the "Condensed Chronicals" I read in the mid 1980's, close to
or maybe over 30 years ago. They were a 2 volume set instead of the 11 or 12 originals. I loaded them to someone at work - he still has them.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline redheart

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 01:43:37 AM »
You could sell your parts on Ebay and sometimes people will pay quite a bit for them, then put the money towards a new rifle.
Just one approach. :)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 02:12:38 AM »
Hi Smokey,
Of course you can recycle parts.  The early American gun trade, particularly in New England, relied on it.  I have recycled parts many times and have a project right now that does that.  Anyway, the cost of restocking can about the cost of labor minus the parts except that the parts often need to be reconditioned or modified to fit the new gun.  So a realistic cost would be the labor for the new stock plus a little more to work over the old parts.  That cost can grow if the old parts were poorly made or fitted.  Are you trying to get your TVM rifle remade?

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 05:02:49 AM »
Hi Smokey,
Of course you can recycle parts.  The early American gun trade, particularly in New England, relied on it.  I have recycled parts many times and have a project right now that does that.  Anyway, the cost of restocking can about the cost of labor minus the parts except that the parts often need to be reconditioned or modified to fit the new gun.  So a realistic cost would be the labor for the new stock plus a little more to work over the old parts.  That cost can grow if the old parts were poorly made or fitted.  Are you trying to get your TVM rifle remade?

dave

Uh...uhhh....well....

It sort of...crossed my mind as something in the long term future, just to see if something like that would ever be possible. I don’t propose AT ALL that I’m going to immediately scrap my stock, so please don’t judge me. But I certainly know now that it is nothing like a historic original. Lots, and lots, of issues. Does it bother me? Well, yes, quite frankly it bothers me. But I was just wondering in the long term if it could be an option.

Please go easy on me guys, I’m new at this stuff.

Offline steven baker

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 11:08:14 AM »
I say go for it . I have an old Dixie gun works Belgium made caplock long rifle that hosts a load of parts and a unfired barrel that could be turned into a fine shooting iron , as long as the wood work is left behind for the fire wood bin,Steven.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 01:45:55 PM »
Hi Smokey,
I would not criticize you for redoing the TVM.  It has good parts.

dave

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 01:56:26 PM »
Hi,
I have a good friend who took the remains of an old ( 1780ish )rifle using the butt plate, patch box, trigger guard, and triggers. All that remained was the stock that was broken ahead of the triggers,( no barrel, no fore-stock, only the hulk of a dry rotted remains of a barely recognisable stock ) the stock had severe dry rot throughout the wood.
The "GOOD" the brass was all intact including fine engraving. The result is a very fine rifle with 240 year old hardware.
What a rare and beautiful find.
Some purists may cry sacrilege, others may applaud. I follow the latter.
The gun makers of yesteryear reused, remade, and rebuilt many times over.
How many of us have seen a percussion rifle that once was a flintlock. Not always the best comparison, but in fact it happened frequently.
Many of the old guns would not be here if the rebuilder was not in operation.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 02:41:54 PM »
Another approach is to simply modify the current stock. I’ve seen folks do this with some commercial rifles to good effect.
Andover, Vermont

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2019, 03:28:00 PM »
Sometimes there is enough wood on a stock, to do a good make over on the existing gun, just as Rich said.  I reused the parts on one of my early builds , but switched the straight oct barrel for a swamped barrel.  For the price of a barrel, I got a rifle I actually liked

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2019, 05:00:53 PM »
I'd venture to guess we all go down a similar path...unless you are brought into this realm by someone knowledgeable and you have the money to start with a well made custom (or get trained building your own etc).

I started hunting with a TC Hawken.  I worked on it some to try to improve it...and botched the lock mortise because I thought a Dremel was the right tool to open it up...it worked...too much.   I haven't touched that rifle in several years. 

Now I started building. 

My first longrifle is likely going to be a rebuild in the future.  Seems most new guys leave too much wood...like was said, not a problem to remove it and refinish it.  I actually took off too much wood and didn't shape the forend very well...I will be set back the cost of a plank and barrel inletting...and time to rebuild it...which is getting faster and better. 

With something like a semi custom, you can also explore selling it.  If you can recoop a fair bit of your money, you might be better off going that route...

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2019, 11:25:49 PM »
I agree with Mauser06.  I think perhaps the best course of action would be to go ahead and sell your current rifle, and then order just what you want.

You already have X amount of money invested in the current gun.  I hazard to guess that a good maker will charge you as much to restock that gun as build one from scratch.  Even then, the resulting gun will be a compromise. The existing lugs, sights, etc. will be a sticking point for the builder that limits what he can do.  Also, I think it will be harder for the builder to work around items like the lugs than if he can install them where he needs them. 

Unless those parts are sentimental, like your dad built the original gun, I think the effort will not be worth the time and money. 

I believe I recall that you got this rifle, and it did not come out quite like you wanted.  I am afraid that this will be the case even if you get it restocked. 

Again, I would sell it, and have a new one built.  I liken it to guys who ask about swapping a V8 into a 6 cylinder Camaro.  The best monetary advice is always to sell the V6 Camaro, and buy a V8 Camaro. 

I hope this helps a bit.  God Bless,   Marc

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2019, 11:59:17 PM »
Thank you my friends, it warms my heart to know you understand and you have supported me as I learn and grow in this hobby.

I think I’m going to keep it for a while and shoot and learn on it. I’m sure I’ll gain lots of experience on what I prefer and it’ll give me time to do plenty of research and learn more and more about the various schools etc.

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2019, 01:11:19 AM »
in the years past i brought many rifles back from the dead. if i had it to do again, i would have left them as is.

Offline redheart

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2019, 01:34:37 AM »
in the years past i brought many rifles back from the dead. if i had it to do again, i would have left them as is.
Me too!

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2019, 01:57:24 AM »
Hi Smokey,
I think you have the right idea.  Have fun shooting the gun and learning about it then rebuild it.  I understand the rifle has some real problems with the stocking as we discussed on another forum.  So get out and shoot, enjoy it as it is, then turn it into a much better gun.  You might would lose out if you tried to sell it as is.

dave

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2019, 02:58:16 AM »
Apart from ordering a rifle from one of the great builders here, there is a steady supply of reasonable priced guns for sale at Track.
If you pick one out, you can ask what is thought o fit right here at ALR.(I think)
 4 pages of them. They will also sell yours for you if you want to put it on consignment.
I do like Ron's Jaeger on the first page.

Too- you could contact Jim Kibler about what is likely the easiest assembled kit available today, in Colonial or Southern Mountain Rifle configuration for around $1,000.00.,
barely covering what we have to pay for parts alone, here in the almost thawed-out North Country.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/487/1
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 03:07:09 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2019, 06:34:53 PM »
I can’t even believe this question got asked. Recycling parts on longrifles is an old and honored tradition that probably goes back to the second longrifle ever built. If you look at the original longrifles posted on this sight, you will find composit guns. I personally love the challenge of reusing parts from longrifles built back when most modern builders had no clue which parts were regionally specific. Those barrels, locks, and triggers, that would cost a fortune today deserve to be recycled.

Hungry Horse

Offline Nhgrants

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2019, 09:31:55 PM »
I have been wanting to restock a gun that I made as it does not fit me well at all and I have learned a few things since I built it. 
Something that I think will be challenging is getting the lock plate to end up in the correct position relative to the touch hole.
I had wondered if a simple jig or stop/tab could be fastened to the barrel so that when the lock is inlet , it will be forced in to the correct spot.

Or, should careful inletting of the lock plate take care of this?

Offline G_T

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2019, 10:55:07 PM »
I'm thinking that if the guts of the lock are stripped, and general excess wood is removed from the lock side to yield a parallel with the barrel flat in that area, the plate can be lined up pretty well to the barrel sitting in the stock wood? Then just inlet. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Gerald

Offline Nhgrants

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2019, 12:55:23 AM »
I don't  think your missing anything ,I'm probably over thinking it

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2019, 03:51:53 AM »
Hey man, don't beat yourself up.
When I got back into this hobby in 2008,after a 30 year hiatus for life in general, I bought a 58 cal Hawken flint kit from Track. As it originally turned out, was a good shootin tho somewhat clunky rifle.
 I shot and enjoyed it for a few years, and  several builds, then I jumped on it, stripped it down, took off about 1-2 lbs of wood, fixed a couple boo boos, now it is a nicer looking gun that still shoots the same.
The main thing is to have fun here. Best group of fellow addicts I ever met.
Best regards, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline JW

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2019, 10:58:33 PM »
I’ve owned and sold my share of long guns, appreciating what I had to an extent but not really being happy until I worked up to something that was representative of the aesthetics and workmanship of extant guns. Unless someone gets really lucky, very few of us got into this hobby by either building or procuring a top-notch gun for their first one.

There are enough fanboys of TVM guns (particularly on the other forum) that I’ve no doubt someone would buy your gun from you if you wanted to go that route. You might enjoy it for a bit while you save up/research for another gun, then sell the one you have. Someone would think they were the cats meow and in the meantime you might enjoy it for what it is.