Author Topic: “Recycling” a Rifle?  (Read 3224 times)

Fowler610

Re: “Recycling” a Rifle?
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2019, 07:46:19 AM »
Hey Smokey, glad you asked this question. I've got a old Nathan Stevenson squirrel rifle that has been through a lot in it's life and have considered restocking it as my second project.  I've changed my mind after reading some of these very sensible replies.  Maybe I'll make it my 15th project in a few years, if at all. 

Offline FALout

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2019, 12:53:26 PM »
Recycling a rifle is good if the donor parts are not too butchered up.  I’ve taken barrels and furniture from older rifles like say brand x, repurposed into rifles for people that couldn’t afford to buy quality and they just wanted to get into shooting, but wanted something looking more historically correct.  The biggest issue is dealing with such things as hole through tang or holes in trigger guard studs or mounting screw hole through set triggers that will not work with the new build, most can be over come, but the fact is there is additional challenges to deal with, and for someone learning to build these things can be more of a hassle then it’s worth.  I’d go with others suggestion of just keeping the rifle as is, learn from it and move on.  I have a rifle that doesn’t look bad and shoots great, built from a blank.  I use it as a tool for how to build better rifles now, there’s a big difference between that rifle and the last few I’ve built so many years later.  I say move on and build another.
Bob

Hessian

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2019, 09:47:54 PM »
I have a rifle that I started then handed off to another guy to finish. It turned out terrible! I thought I could fix it but every time I pick it up I get disgusted. I thought the fella was up to finishing the gun as I have owned some of his work and it was okay.
I've tried to straighten up some of the problems but they are beyond my skills. It's just plain ugly. Too much wood here. Not enough there. Sights crooked. Pins and screws not straight. It's just a mess.
Probably have to completely re stock it to salvage it. I paid the fella for the work as agreed but haven't had much to do with him since. I just can't make myself work on it.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2019, 08:49:29 PM »
Guys, you all don’t know how much the support and kind comments mean to me. It’s great to know that I’m not alone, and that it isn’t uncommon to be unpleased with one’s first custom.

I’m learning and growing every day in this hobby guys, and still have a ton to go for sure. Thanks for helping me stay out of the weeds, guys. Means a lot.

-Smokey

Hessian

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2019, 08:34:50 PM »
I "recycled" the gun I was speaking of in my previous post this past weekend at an event..
I sold it to a reenactor for the cost of parts. I was ready to move on down the road from this particular endeavor. He was right tickled and I was releaved to be rid of it. Now I can move on to something else. I pointed out all the flaws in the gun because I didn't want him to think I was screwing him over. I could have listed it or took it to Friendship and made more but I was just "done with it. I came to this conclusion largely after reading comments from you guys. Thanks! 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 08:38:38 PM by Hessian »

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2019, 09:03:18 PM »
Guys, you all don’t know how much the support and kind comments mean to me. It’s great to know that I’m not alone, and that it isn’t uncommon to be unpleased with one’s first custom.

I’m learning and growing every day in this hobby guys, and still have a ton to go for sure. Thanks for helping me stay out of the weeds, guys. Means a lot.

-Smokey
What you had was a semi-custom. Generally good parts, but thrown together to be sort of like a generic original.  It's too bad, the attention to detail was lacking.

Offline taco650

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2019, 09:26:22 PM »
Since its your rifle, do whatever you want.  My last "build" was a bunch of parts I bought from several internet sources and put into a blank I made from a tulip poplar tree from my front yard.  It's sorta Hawken like and the experienced builder would berate it for the architecture being wrong but I'm satisfied with it and learned a ton from the whole thing.  Consequently, I'm not afraid to redo it at all.