Author Topic: Bunderbluss Accessories?  (Read 1577 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Bunderbluss Accessories?
« on: August 05, 2019, 07:14:02 AM »
Guys, have their ever been any bags, horns, pouches, etc. found with original bunderblusses?

A search didn’t find much. What was used to carry loading supplies for them? Just real curious about this and figured you all would know. Thanks!

-Smokey

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: Bunderbluss Accessories?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 05:56:01 AM »
Just a guess, but for a mail coach, I'd say a powder flask, and some wadding and pistol balls in a coat pocket.
First shot is what counted, and not usually any rush to reload.

Same for domestic use. most were loaded for years, hanging on a peg by the door....often with a note attached,   saying it was loaded.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 07:49:47 PM »
Probably a flask of powder, and an old sock full of pea gravel, would be pretty close.

Hungry Horse

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 08:26:30 AM »
Interesting.

Would a flask be more appropriate than a horn? What type of flask?

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 01:15:39 PM »
This is an interesting question because it makes you think about the reason to carry one in the first place.
If you're on a ship, how many times are you likely to fire it because it was a close combat gun....shoot 'em and smack 'em.

If you're on a coach, are there even any records of somebody who touched one off or was it supposed to just scare a highwayman off?

If you're sitting at home by the fire....and so on.

Maybe there is a reason for the lack of information for your search because there is a lack of reasons to worry about reloading?

Um jus sayn

Offline R.J.Bruce

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 03:09:42 PM »
The beauty of a blunderbuss is that most were fairly large bores, even considering the times.

Wool blanket wads, a flask of powder, and just about any kind of projectile one could imagine, or get their hands on.

IMO, it's muzzleloading at about its simplest. The larger the bore size, the greater the availability of projectiles that can be utilized.

A single, bore sized lead ball. Small pieces of scrap iron. Small stone pebbles, such as Hungry Horse has mentioned. Lead buckshot, in varying sizes. Birdshot. Wooden or iron darts, such as a modern fletchette round mimics. The list goes on and on.

I don't think there could be many wrong answers. If one is trying to create a persona, then a time frame, and a country of origin would be necessary. Otherwise, just do as you like, as long as the powder charge size, and projectile(s) stay within safe limits for the barrel/breechplug combo.

What is an effective range? The bore size, the powder charge size, the weight of the projectile(s), combined with the amount of flare in the bell, probably has a lot to do with maximum effective range.

If I had one, I would treat it as if my life depended upon the effectiveness of the blunderbuss. I'd go to a large appliance store to acquire as many large pieces of cardboard as I could obtain. I'd make myself a large patterning frame. Buy a large roll of brown wrapping paper. Buy a box of Sharpies. Make up.a bunch of wool wads. Purchase enough Fg powder. And start shooting. A LOT!!!!

Unless you only want a blunderbuss as a novelty gun, and that seems to be how most owners treat theirs, then A LOT OF SHOOTING is the only way to figure out a buss's capabilities. Lots of rounds down range, with as many different types of projectiles as you can imagine.

If you think what a sawed off double barreled shotgun is good for, then a blunderbuss is most likely in the same category. 10 yards/meters and closer.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 12:18:46 AM »
The beauty of a blunderbuss is that most were fairly large bores, even considering the times.

Wool blanket wads, a flask of powder, and just about any kind of projectile one could imagine, or get their hands on.

IMO, it's muzzleloading at about its simplest. The larger the bore size, the greater the availability of projectiles that can be utilized.

A single, bore sized lead ball. Small pieces of scrap iron. Small stone pebbles, such as Hungry Horse has mentioned. Lead buckshot, in varying sizes. Birdshot. Wooden or iron darts, such as a modern fletchette round mimics. The list goes on and on.

I don't think there could be many wrong answers. If one is trying to create a persona, then a time frame, and a country of origin would be necessary. Otherwise, just do as you like, as long as the powder charge size, and projectile(s) stay within safe limits for the barrel/breechplug combo.

What is an effective range? The bore size, the powder charge size, the weight of the projectile(s), combined with the amount of flare in the bell, probably has a lot to do with maximum effective range.

If I had one, I would treat it as if my life depended upon the effectiveness of the blunderbuss. I'd go to a large appliance store to acquire as many large pieces of cardboard as I could obtain. I'd make myself a large patterning frame. Buy a large roll of brown wrapping paper. Buy a box of Sharpies. Make up.a bunch of wool wads. Purchase enough Fg powder. And start shooting. A LOT!!!!

Unless you only want a blunderbuss as a novelty gun, and that seems to be how most owners treat theirs, then A LOT OF SHOOTING is the only way to figure out a buss's capabilities. Lots of rounds down range, with as many different types of projectiles as you can imagine.

If you think what a sawed off double barreled shotgun is good for, then a blunderbuss is most likely in the same category. 10 yards/meters and closer.

THANK YOU so much, excellent write up!! Indeed, I do want a blunderbuss and am actively working on obtaining a custom barrel of 10 gauge (.775”). I intend to shoot it to try and pattern it to see what it is capable of, and to do ballistics gelatin tests with various types of shot to examine the capabilities of these historic weapons.

So wool wads are historically correct? I’ve always heard wars of flax tow were also used, and have heard things as diverse as corn leaves and wasp’s nests as wadding. How are wool wads made?

I am a student of the blunderbuss and want to learn and experience these interesting guns!

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 05:57:01 AM »
There is a lot of hooey out there re. blunderbusses;

Many have brass barrels.  Can you imagine for a second what would happen to the bore if the proverbial rusty nails and scrap iron were used?
Invariably pistol balls were used, as we would buckshot these days.

Look up Thomas Thynne, as this is a case where a coach was held up, and the occupant we shot through the window with a blunderbuss.  balls were removed from his corpse, (not nails and scrap iron.)

Wool was mentioned as wadding, but we must remember "An Essay on Shooting" where wool is described as "Nothing worth".
Tow yes, paper, more likely for a blunderbuss, as it can be rammed down hard.

Oh, regarding the flask;
Conical horn flasks were used up into the early 19th C, but in Britain and Europe, the metal powder flask with build -in measure was used as well, and much more common in the later 18th C. These flasks are so much easier and faster to use, that it seems common sense for a flask to be carried in an overcoat pocket for coaching use.
In the home, where many a blunderbuss spent its entire life, any form of container and measure could be used, as re-loading was not a priority.

Coach-men were in time forbidden to discharge their pieces except in cases of robbery etc, as they had got into the habit of shooting at pheasants and other small game, from the coach as they passed by.  For this sport, they likely loaded with smaller shot of course.  (This latter in the UK)

Best,
Richard.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 08:58:20 PM »
Just a guess but but small rifle balls (sorta like buckshot) would make sense considering the guns purpose.  Powder, in the form of a small flask or paper charge holders, along with available wadding would certainly do it.  After all, we're talking about a gun almost never or rarely used.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Rick Sheets

• HCH Master Horner and Web Guy
    • Proud Journeyman Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 04:01:23 PM »
I would think as a blunderbuss was a very specific and expensive gun to make, the owner would take care in what would be shot from it. I am thinking lead balls and wadding would be the only thing shot from it.
Rick
Proud Master Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
     http://www.hornguild.org
My personal website:
     http://patriothorns.com
Like me on facebook:
     http://www.facebook.com/patriothorns

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 05:50:23 PM »
I may be way off base but a blunderbus was/is nothing more than a shotgun with a flared muzzle to facilitate reloading on a moving coach, rocking ship or other moving vehicle. Why would the accoutrements be much, if any, different than any other shotgun. Powder flask, shot bag and container with shot appropriate for the use. Wads, as in a shotgun , could be any number of things. Only those who were there could tell us what would be correct and appropriate and they're not talking. Just use what you are comfortable with.
Mark
Mark

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 04:03:34 AM »
Powder, wadding, and a handful of fish hooks. :o

Mike