Author Topic: Don Brown Alexander Henry Rifle Replica  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Camino

• Starting Member
Don Brown Alexander Henry Rifle Replica
« on: August 05, 2019, 10:12:58 PM »
I have inherited a muzzleloading target rifle that I believe was made up from a Don Brown kit.  The previous owner did not build it himself but bought it completed.  It is pretty plain, with browned barrel and furniture.  It is without engraving or other markings except for the inscription "DVB" on the top barrel flat done with electric pencil.  This engraving surprises me a little bit as it isn't nearly the same professional quality as the rest of the build.  The electric pencil engraving appears to be beneath the browning so I'd imagine that it was done prior to finishing the barrel.  It has what I believe is a replica Alexander Henry front sight and the rear sight, which is of a midrange height, I'd have to say, is marked "MN".  I believe this might stand for Mike Neumann, the South African builder of replica sights.  I have one of his Dr. Goodwin replicas for my Pedersoli Gibbs, but it isn't marked. 

The rifle has very little wear and is quite well built with very good checkering, inletting and stock carving.  I'm not sure who may have made the barrel.  I've not fired it, but was wondering what it might be valued at these days.  I am working on some detailed photographs of this and other items in my collection, but was curious about this rifle in particular.  I understand Don Brown's tools and patterns are in use by Robert England of South Carolina and he's making up unfinished kits like these that would sell in the $1500 price range without sights?  Thanks for your interest.

Online Craig Wilcox

Re: Don Brown Alexander Henry Rifle Replica
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 04:53:39 PM »
Camino, you have quite the nice target rifle there.  Maybe if you can post a few pictures we can better determine the quality and therefore a price.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 03:29:53 AM »
I would like to see it just to see what it looks like.Evaluating guns is not my "thing"
so I will not be able to give you a price to ask and always say,"It's between a willing seller
and a willing buyer.
Bob Roller

Offline snapper

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 03:31:07 AM »
The value is a tough one.  I own 2 of these Don Brown rifles.  Both are great shooters.   Both have engraving.   I would not sell either one of these rifle if someone offered me 5K for each. 

The value for the rifle might somewhere between a sum less then the value of the parts to several thousand.   

For me a rifle like this derives its value based on the quality of the parts, quality of the build and accuracy of the rifle.

You will not find many buyers for a rifle like this at a price over 2K.  Not saying it is not worth it, but it is a small market.

Pictures would help.

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill