Author Topic: THANKS  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
THANKS
« on: August 06, 2019, 04:07:31 AM »
I want to thank all ALR Members that helped with the many seminars and demos that were given at this years (and past years) Dixon's Gun Fair. Special thanks goes to Tom Curran (aka Acer Saccharum) who has been the driving force behind many of the addtions/changes in recent Dixon's Gun Fair's.

Tom has worked with Dixon's to insure things mesh well with their plans for the Fair. From what I hear they succeeded with many positive additions to the Fair. Tom also spent many hours coordinating and scheduling these events. All of us who enjoy attending Dixon's Gun Fair need to give Tom and his band of volunteers a round of thanks.

I have been unable to attend Dixon's in several years, due to family health problems, but the last year I attended I was pleasantly surprised by the many ALR members that volunteered their time with demo's "up on the hill". Thanks to Tom each year a few more things have been added. One really big change are the new tents now available for use by the many volunteers (many who are ALR members)

Discussions in our Admin and Moderator forum indicated a need for a few more changes for next year, with that in mind your input is solicited. Bear in mind all additions/changes will need to be done by volunteers and $'s will need to be raised to pay for items that need to be purchased.

If you enjoy attending Dixon's Gun Fair and have seen something that you think could be a positive change or addition please let us know. It may not be possible to add but it will be considered. Also, if you can offer (free😊) help for next year, mention that as well.

Here is a list of volunteers that have helped at this years Fair (as well as past years), hopefully I did not leave anyone out, if I did I am sorry, it was not on purpose.

Tom Curran
Dave Person
Steve Harding
Roy Stroh
Eric Ewing 
John Cholin
Dave Ehrig
Billy Griner
Matt Harshbarger
Mike Karkalla
Karl Landis
Rich Pierce
David Price
Ed Wenger
Keith Casteel
Mitch Yates
Roland Cadle
Mark Elliott
Daniel Miranda
Brian LaMaster
Jason Schneider
Tim Williams

Again, thanks to all that volunteered their time, I am sure it was appreciated by those that attended the Fair.

Dennis

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 04:18:16 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daryl

Re: THANKS
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 07:27:41 AM »
MAN- that's a lot of ALR guys! No way I could remember all those names. Well done, Dennis
& THANKS to those members.
Hopefully Taylor, Brian and I can attend some time in the fairly near future, before our kids put us all in the
old shooter's home. YIKES!
HA! - put us together and we'll run the place. ::)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 04:50:37 PM »
Dennis,

You're welcome.

I've been doing four demos each year for almost 10 years now.  It never ceases to amaze me when I look up from my bench and see 30 to 40 people, all paying attention, some taking notes and this year video-recording what I was doing.  I don't think of myself as a "master of the craft" like many of the others on your list.  I'm teaching very basic stuff.  I think that's all I am qualified to do.  But when I see all those folks on the other side of my bench all the expense and effort involved in preparation, lugging bench and tools to the Fair, being there a solid 3 days, all becomes worth it.  It is doubly nice to know the effort is appreciated enough for a 'thank you'.

Best Regards,

JMC
John Cholin

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 05:10:24 PM »
John, you’re the EverReady guy. Your nuts and bolts basic skills and fix-it sessions are great. The breechplug fitting by hand one was really good. That you could do it with an audience while explaining in that timeframe was impressive.
Andover, Vermont

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 09:01:25 PM »
     First off I must say I didn't make it to Dixon's. I have only gone one time.
 But the ALR crew does an outstanding job. The only recommendation I could make is to make it a little easier for everyone to see better. It is one outstanding seminar none the less.
  Now if yeah need someone to explain what not to do...!!   I'm an expert...!!
  Oldtravler

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 09:28:30 PM »
It IS hard to show and explain delicate small stuff to a crowd of old dudes!
Andover, Vermont