Author Topic: Leave the barrel in the stock during finishing?  (Read 1556 times)

Fowler610

Leave the barrel in the stock during finishing?
« on: August 08, 2019, 07:09:25 AM »
Newbie questions:  Working on my Kibler SMR (my first rifle) and getting near time for finish.  Read up on Tried & True Varnish and plan on using that.  The wood at the forend is soooo thin and, from what I've read, one really needs to rub that varnish in.  Do y'all leave the barrel in the stock while rubbing in the finish to support that thin stock?   Also, the idea of leaving a stock in the sun to cure the varnish without the barrel in place gives me the heebie-jeebies.

I learn so much from you all.  Thanks for any advice you might wish to provide.

Offline Mauser06

Re: Leave the barrel in the stock during finishing?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 07:18:48 AM »
I would bet you get answers yes and no.   

I personally do not leave barrels in. 

I typically finish my steel before I finish the wood....or it's all being done at the same time.  I don't want finish on my steel...or any of my other parts.  For me, everything is off the gun...I haven't built anything with inlays or anything that really isn't meant to come off though..

Just obviously have to be careful with the forestock. 

I don't have the time for slow to cure finishes or finishes that require sunlight.  If it's really nice out, I might put them in the sun...but typically not till the finish is dry.  Nothing worse than pollen, bugs, etc all stuck to a rifle stock. 

Offline FALout

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 12:56:45 PM »
I’ve never finished a stock with the barrel in, even thou historically it was done.  Yes the forestock is fragile for being thin, but I want the finish in certain areas for sealing purposes.
Bob

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 03:02:08 PM »
I finish all my guns with the barrel and all hardware in place except for the staining and first flood/seal coat.  Just the way I have always done it.  I wax all parts that will be removed for final polish including the barrel.  Yeah it's a bit more work, but then scraping the finish off all your inlets is more work as well.  Sort of pick your poison.  On thing I did start doing though, my first couple of guns I would hang with a chain by the buttplate screw.  It really made me nervous finishing them like that with the barrel and hardware in place due to the weight.  I have since built a simple fixture to stand the gun in for finishing, works pretty well.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 03:15:38 PM »
I always remove the barrel, lock, butt plate and anything that can be removed before applying finish. The inlays and such are still in place of course but those are easily kept clean as you go. Finish will build up in the barrel channel and lock mortise but a bit of scraping removes what needs to go to fit those back in, no worries, but a bit more work.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 04:29:21 PM »
I always remove the barrel for finishing. When I made my Kibler I moved real slow and deliberately when I finished the stock, I could just see me dropping it or damaging that extra thin forearm. 

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 04:30:15 PM »
I have the rifle stripped of everything, with the exception of the patchbox, if inlaid brass, and nose cap.  I fashioned a hook from coathanger wire and attached it to a screw in the ceiling of my shop so it can swivel and hang the stock from the forward most ramrod pipe tab slot.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Fowler610

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 04:30:52 PM »
Single Malt: Great tip about hanging the stock from the ceiling.

Eric:  Roger that-just have to be very careful.

Tommy G:  Cool idea re: waxing the parts.

Mauser 06:  Yup, you were correct. 

Thank you to all for your replies and advice.

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 01:41:12 AM »
Looks to me you could also put a piece of wooden dowel or "colonial period" conduit in the barrel channel with a couple of Velcro straps you can move around to protect the thin forearm. They work good holding a barrel in prior to pinning.
elkhorne

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 12:28:02 AM »
Take everything out except inlays.  I remove the buttplate, and screwin an eyebolt in so it can hang to dry.  Bent coat hanger on the closet bar gives a great indoor place to dry.  Less bugs etc.
In His grip,

Dane