Author Topic: Critiques?  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Mauser06

Re: Critiques?
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2019, 08:12:58 AM »

Quickly shortened the lid after work....still not sure how I feel about the thickness.  Once carved, stained and finished it will have a different look and will be broken up and not so monotonous to the eye like it is now....that's my hope....

Could go with a simple brass box. 

Could attempt to patch the dovetail, recut it, make a slimmer lid and if needed carve a border around the lid to disguise the glue line...

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2019, 12:08:22 AM »
I think you did a great job of cleaning everything up.  The comb looks a lot better.  The cheek looks good and will flow nice with any carving.  I would leave the patchbox alone.  I think once you carve it, it will look good.  Also, I would put a lower buttstock moulding on both sides.  You have plenty of room and that should help with the look of the box as well.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2019, 02:51:25 AM »
Thanx Tommy.    I tried to address everything that was pointed out.  Definitely has better lines and seems to flow better now.  Still refining and cleaning up some stuff...but I think I'm about ready to get the pencil out.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2019, 03:01:11 AM »
Hard to see, but it looks like you've undercut your cheekpiece way too much.  It should be much fuller here.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."