Author Topic: About a week to finish and within a second back to square one!  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Terry Reynolds

The learning curve has been a hard one. Had stock in vise drilling the buttplate screws and heard a crack.....instantly got sick to the stomach!  :( Odd, didn’t think I was applying much pressure, guess it was enough.

Not much else to do now but stop by and see Tip Curtis to hand pick a new stock.

Got to admit I got this kit from TOW (correction) and it’s been a funky piece of wood.

Anyone broke one here?

« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 04:38:04 PM by digger658 »
aka “digger658”

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Re: About a week to finish and within a second back to square one!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 02:29:52 AM »
Just curious, is that glue, Accra glass?  Seems like a pretty clean break, not sure you’d need a new stock...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Terry Reynolds

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 02:38:53 AM »
Ed, didn’t think there was much hope for it but stained it and put it back together with epoxy. It went back together nicely and I may toy around with it and try to pin.
aka “digger658”

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 03:30:20 AM »
I’m thinking you might be pleasantly surprised with the results.  I would bet that clean a break could be hidden fairly well, especially since it hasn’t been stained yet.  Another option would have been to stain the wood around the crack, then use wood glue as an adhesive.  Looks like a nice job of getting it back together!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Terry Reynolds

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 04:08:29 AM »
Ed, It did go back together very tight and I stained the wood prior to fitting. I may have screwed up using epoxy thinking it might be better then Titebond,,,,,,still in the learning stage!

Thanks
aka “digger658”

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 08:30:20 AM »
I had a stock from TOW that I named the stock from He##! It was funky also. The forend kept twisting to the right but I managed to cut most of the warp out somehow. There is no twist at all now. Worse, in the finishing stages the stock split starting in the center of the end of the stock then down 8 or 9 inches, until the piece broke out held on by just a thread of wood.
I immediately glued it back together with good old elmer's white wood glue, put in the forward pin to line things up then clamped the center of the break. I waited 2 days to take the clamp off.
That was 15 years ago and today I can't point out exactly where that break was. I wouldn't be to quick to trash that stock. I might be inclined to pin it though.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Terry Reynolds

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 04:52:24 PM »
I need to clarify my first post, I said I bought the kit from TOF, I meant to say TOW (Track of the Wolf). I apologize to TOF for the error on my part.
aka “digger658”