Author Topic: 19th century target rifle from original parts  (Read 809 times)

Offline DuncanvonYeast

• Starting Member
19th century target rifle from original parts
« on: August 12, 2019, 06:03:18 AM »
So Thursday I purchased a set of original parts and a curly maple stock from a friend. I am starting on a percussion hunting/target rifle. It came with a .36 caliber barrel, goulcher lock and brass hardware. When I got it the buttplate, barrel, and toe plate were already inlet into the stock. I plan on building this fun for our local muzzleloading meat shoots in the winter. I would love advice and input from any and all, seeing as I am building my second rifle.

So Saturday morning I started on inletting the barrel and tang into the stock, this is one of the hardest pieces of curly maple I’ve ever worked with. I took me most of the day to do this, I’ve always been told you can speed up by slowing down. I bedded the barrel because I ain’t the greatest at inletting and managed to make my first mistake and blew out a piece of wood around the sidle plate panel

I glued it back in tonight and am hoping to start on a drum for the barrel, which also brings me to my first question, what style of drum would have been used? I’ve seen several different drums on originals and cannot find a style I am in love with. It would be awesome if I could get some pictures of original drums to help with my dilemma.
            Thanks,
               Duncan von Yeast