Author Topic: My Smallest Longrifle  (Read 2713 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
My Smallest Longrifle
« on: August 12, 2019, 08:46:03 PM »
I have been cleaning out a lot of old books, tools, and just plain junk I have accumulated over the years.  I recently stumbled across a box of things I had not opened in probably more than 50 years.  In a small plastic box, I found something I had made as a 12 year old boy.........

Years ago, on the old board, I posted pictures and the story about building my first real long rifle when I was 17.  I bought a Dixie Gun Works .45 caliber barrel and a couple of brass castings and made everything else including the lock.  But a few years before that, while I was working for my Dad as a dental technician, I made a miniature long rifle.  It didn't fire but the cock and the frizzen moved and I did drill out the tiny octagonal barrel I made for it.  Probably the most unusual thing about it is that all the metal parts are made of gold.  Working as a dental technician in my Dad's lab, we used a lot of gold (and it was about $75 an ounce back then)......so I used gold to make the parts.  The lock parts, butt plate, trigger guard, and trigger I cast from tiny wax patterns I had carved.  For the barrel, I drew a length of wire, drilled it out in a jeweler's lathe, and then filed it octagonal.  The stock is Brazilian rosewood and the rest of the parts (muzzle cap, patch box, ram rod pipes, etc.) I made from 24 karat gold sheet.

Don't remember the caliber.....I will need to measure it...

I even managed to engrave my name on the side plate......when my eyes and manual dexterity were a lot younger.....

Cock and frizzen in the fired position

Cock and frizzen cocked and ready to fire.......

Not a real long rifle.....but I thought it close enough to be included in the "Gun Building" section...... ;)

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Jeff Durnell

Re: My Smallest Longrifle
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 09:16:14 PM »
Geeze. That's impressive. And at 12 years old? Very cool indeed.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 09:56:56 PM »
Looks like an excellent first rifle, as in first rifle for a foetus!!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 11:04:17 PM »
 I do remember this form the old board, really neat. 75 bucks an oz, wasn't it more like 35 50 years ago?

Tim C.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 12:39:33 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 12:38:46 AM »
Did you build this before or after you engraved the Declaration of Independence on the head of that straight pin?   ???
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 03:40:30 AM »
How do you live with yourself being so cool?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 05:51:15 AM »

Now THAT'S a good question!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 11:38:02 AM »
The handwork is art!
It is from The Golden Age!
Great job.

Adrie

Online Mick C

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 04:06:37 PM »

Now THAT'S a good question!

Ditto and double ditto.  :D
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 07:12:10 PM »
Where is the Micro Powder Horn? - Looks Awesome....love the detail -

Jon

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 07:45:52 PM »
Thanks to all.....just a fun thing to find in a 50 year old junk box.

Tim, it may have been $35 an ounce, but this was dental gold.....18 karat alloyed with platinum and palladium, so it was more expensive than 24 karat gold.... :)

Jon,  I didn't think to make a tiny powder horn but I was learning scrimshaw at the time and found this one (that I made from a small piece of ivory) in the same plastic box with the long rifle:

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline J Henry

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 07:48:26 PM »
  Now post pictures of the full sized rifles you have made,much more IMPRESSIVE.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 09:00:09 PM »
    Davec2 Very impressive work... Attention to detail is amazing..!  Thanks for showing ..!  Oldtravler

Offline Berksrifle

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 12:44:05 AM »
davec2, where did you get such a large quarter?

Ken

Online J. Talbert

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 04:04:37 AM »
You'd think by now I would no longer be surprised by the things you make Dave, but holy cow... 12 years old.

Once again, may I say, I'm impressed.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 07:18:00 AM »
I’m repeating everyone else when I say that I’m impressed. No, that’s wrong. I’m floored!  At the same age, I built a CVA kit I got for Christmas. Major inletting problems, etc., but it shot, and that’s all I cared.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline t.caster

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 04:22:52 PM »
I'm blown away! among other things, inletting that tiny pierced patchbox and ramrod pipes....#@$%&^*! :o
Tom C.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2019, 08:40:27 PM »
I have always had an inkling that some folks are born with talent.  Dave, you have sure proved my inkling to be much more than an inkling!!  :o ;D

Now, somewhere I have an old GI Joe from my childhood ca. 1963-4 that needs some miniature colonial duds to display this rifle!
Joel Hall

Offline Mqabbi

• Starting Member
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2019, 10:58:32 PM »
Maestro, I respectfully tip my hat to you. I mean this very sincerely. When I was 12, I was given a small book, (that I still have) called miniature firearms. This started my love affair with guns of all shapes and sizes. I graduated as a mechanical engineer due to my obsession with things that work, especially firearms.

I have built and still build firearms of all shapes and sizes, but unfortunately my guns do not have an American flavour as it is a culture that I have never been immersed in. I have seen others here showing European arms and maybe someday I will show mine.

Once again, my deepest admiration for doing something so intricate and fine at such a tender age.I hope I am not being presumptious in telling you that you owe your dad big time

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2019, 06:14:21 AM »
I'll be impressed if the patchbox opens... ;)

Seriously though, that might be one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Mike

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2019, 07:45:23 AM »
Mqabbi,

Thank you for your kind words.....I think I have the same book on miniature firearms !!  And yes, I owe my Father more than I could ever repay in a lifetime.  He passed away on 1 January, 2018 at the age of 91.  I was blessed to have him around for all of my 65 years.  I miss him every day.  But I will see him again soon.... ;)  I would love to see the guns you build.  If they don't fit in the category of "american longrifle" you can PM me or send an email.

Thanks to all for your kind words.  I don't attribute this little rifle to any great talent.  I think that, at 12 years old, I had the great advantage of not knowing I couldn't do it... :o.....and my eyes were a tad better !
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2019, 02:56:52 AM »
Dave, it amazes me that you could have held onto such a treasure all this time.
Like you, I come from a Navy family - we moved, on average, every 12 months.  And apparently it is passed along in the genes, as after my  years in the Navy, I  also moved a LOT.  When I turned 55, I was moving into my 55th house - but there have only been 5 since then!  So here I am at 73, only having lived in 60 houses. On 4 continents!
But along the way, a lot of treasures go missing - and many are, indeed, missed.

It is a beautiful thing, and made all the more beautiful by the hands that made it.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline will payne

• AKA dead eye/ Coder /Ethical Hacker
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2019, 02:42:21 PM »
Dang, that must taken some patience. That is very awesome. 8)
🕯
Will

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson