Author Topic: North Carolina Appalachian School Rifle by James McKee  (Read 3237 times)

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
North Carolina Appalachian School Rifle by James McKee
« on: August 14, 2019, 11:51:14 PM »
I had previously researched James McKee when I wrote my 2017 book on the Mecklenburg Longrifle School. McKee was born in Mecklenburg County in 1788. In January 1805, he lost both parents. As he was still legally a minor the Mecklenburg Court bound him as an apprentice to local gun-smith and silver-smith Zenas Alexander. Once he had completed his apprenticeship, McKee moved to Buncombe County and worked as an Appalachian School gun-smith until his death in 1848.

My friend Bill Ivey once owned the only other signed rifle I have seen by this maker.  Bill included it in his 2010 book on the North Carolina Schools of Longrifles as rifle #208. I was happy to find this rifle at the J.M. Davis auction and be able to purchase it at a good price.

I find it interesting that McKee did not use any of the Mecklenburg School architecture or features he learned from Zenas Alexander, but did seem to copy some of his stock architecture from the Rowan School.  His rifles have the right amount of drop to the stock, high comb, and scooped out check-rest like a Rowan rifle.

Note: The butt-plate is attached with two nails, not screws.

image uploader

Buying this rifle does create one issue for me.  I only have room for three Appalachian School rifles in my collection. I now own four rifles from this school.

Do I keep this new McKee rifle and sell my Robert Hughes (Ivey #196) or sell the McKee?  Decisions - Decisions.  I will let you know when I make one. (Laughs)

Michael
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 11:54:51 PM by mbriggs »
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: North Carolina Appalachian School Rifle by James McKee
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 12:56:08 AM »
 ;D ;D... Yep,... glad this one is in a good home,... However, you DO have a helluva decision to make,... !!! .... when does the bidding start,..??? !!! ... (BTW,... who got the G. Wilhelm rifle,..???

Offline diamante

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 01:24:12 AM »
That is absolutely an awesome find! Congratulations.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 01:55:49 AM »
MOST interesting lock-plate.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 04:25:50 AM »
Congratulations on finding this fine rifle.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 04:14:25 PM »
The lock is a slightly modified F1flintlock from Dixie Gun Works. The barrel erosion around the pan is extensive, and more likely from fulminate in old percussion caps than powder flash from a flintlock. The rest of the gun is in excellent condition.

Hungry Horse

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 05:21:41 PM »
I contacted them about the lock not being an original flint.  I told them it was a modified Dixie #1 lock.  They let the bidding get high and only modified the description two days before the auction.  I also told them the Hawken was a fake but they let that one get up to $15,000.00, including the buyer premium.  Still, the McKee is a nice gun and I was going to bid on it but waited for the States rifle.

Offline rsells

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 08:53:37 PM »
Thanks for the photographs.  The rifle I will be starting on next Monday is a McKee.  I am working off the photographs from the book by William Ivey.  My profile is taken from the book, a drawing from Ron Boron, and a drawing I made off a rifle that was at Friendship back in the late 70's.  Only slight differences between the three sources.  I have gone with the line running down the top of the comb toward the breech that I feel will work best.  Also, my trigger guard will be slightly different as well. I have been planning on building this rifle for several years and am looking forward to the build.  I have an H&H .40 cal barrel set in a walnut blank ready to go.  Could you post a photo of the front of the nose cap, rear sight, and a close up photo of the ramrod entry pipe.   I don't have any details to work with on these three characteristics.  Thanks again.
                                                                                     Roger Sells             

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 09:12:16 PM by rsells »