Author Topic: Wood box suggestions?  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Mauser06

Wood box suggestions?
« on: August 15, 2019, 10:44:44 PM »
So in working towards the finish line on my early Lancaster....I need thoughts on the patchbox lid.  When I was cutting the dovetail in the stock, I caught some grain changes and long story short, the dovetail ended up wider than I wanted. 

I can't really reduce the width of the lid any further at this point. 

I know once it's carved and stained, it'll have a different look and likely not look as bad as it does now.   

Is it passable?   

Do I cover it was a simple brass box? (Which I can't engrave at this point)

Do I patch the dovetail, make a proper sized lid and do an incised border around the box to help cover the you line? 

Do I keep it and proceed? 

Other suggestions? 

Offline t.caster

Re: Wood box suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 10:56:35 PM »
I'm not seeing a problem from your photo!??! Are there more pics I can't bring up?
Tom C.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 11:15:22 PM »
Nope...not missing anything.  Just 1 picture. 

Want to make sure the patchbox looks good before finalizing everything.  Have some blending and cleanup left...sometimes I just wish the lid was a little more narrow than it turned out. 

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 03:33:55 PM »
Well...folks have called me a little slow on the uptake, but I understand your issue as the stock recess is too wide and the lid is too narrow.  Why worry about reducing the lid...why not shim either the stock dovetail or the lid base?  What'd I miss?

Offline fahnenschmied

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 04:26:19 PM »
I think it is passable - but in the end, the only person it really is going to bother will be you.  How much narrower did you want it to be?  I should think you could make some shims, up to 1/8th thick. and glue them to the dovetails in the stock.  The overhanging patchbox lid should cover them up.  No need to makes lines around for camouflage, etc - but certainly you could get it 1/4 narrower by this method.  And let me know when you decide to make a Mauser Geraet 06...

westbrook

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 02:46:58 PM »
If it were mine...I'd be tickled with that! ;D