Author Topic: Classess at Friendship 2019  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
Classess at Friendship 2019
« on: August 17, 2019, 12:52:43 AM »
For those who are interested I have just spent two days at the bench creating this year's sample of relief carving using Turkish walnut as a medium.  Some say that European walnut is hard to carve - it is not!  I find it much easier to carve that soft curly maple especially Western curly maple.  If the wood dose not resist the chisel cut it will be hard to cut.  This sample was a piece of cake to carve.  See the photo,    Hugh Toenjes

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 04:25:22 AM by Blacksmoke »
H.T.

Offline Blacksmoke

Re: Classess at Friendship 2019
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 04:58:40 AM »
Incidentally - the carving pictured above is more "high relief" because it is a sample carving for those taking the carving class.
The image is about .040" from the ground and is carved on a convex surface.   That is about double the height for longrifle carving.  Each student will be doing the same pattern on Turk. walnut.  Materials and carving tools are supplied at the class.  Individual and adjustable vices with swinging arm lights are also provided.  And YES I will be using a black board ( or white board)  At this point we need 2 more students.
   Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 04:34:08 PM »
For those who are interested I have just spent two days at the bench creating this year's sample of relief carving using Turkish walnut as a medium.  Some say that European walnut is hard to carve - it is not!  I find it much easier to carve that soft curly maple especially Western curly maple.  If the wood dose not resist the chisel cut it will be hard to cut.  This sample was a piece of cake to carve.  See the photo,    Hugh Toenjes

Thanks for that Huge, that's some really profound information.

BTW, I have never associated "two days" with "piece of cake" on a small piece of carving. Our sense of passage of time must be radically different. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 06:41:22 PM »
Does the cost of the class include food and lodging like the courses taught at Canter's Cave?  You say you are providing all the tools, will you be providing a tool for checking the height of the carving?  .020" will be pretty hard for some students to eyeball.

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 07:03:55 PM »
David:  Thanks for the enquiry re: Friendship classes 2019 These classes are hosted by the NMLRA in their new education building (fully air conditioned} on the Friendship grounds.    Accommodation and meals are the students responsibility.  How ever camp sites are available on site and there are food venders on site during the fall shoot.  If students need to measure the height of their carving, I as the instructor will have a calipers available.  Since the project is a practice piece that the students will be doing, the exact height is not critical.   As of this posting we only need one more student to register for the carving class Sept. 23 - 27.
The silver wire inlay course Sept. 16 - 20 needs 5 more students.  Hope this answers your questions,    Hugh Toenjes (instructor)
H.T.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 08:09:47 PM »
Is  it common practice to measure ones carving with calipers?  ??? I must be behind the curve on this concept.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 09:09:02 PM »
Mike:  Some peoples eyes are better than others!  Personally I do not need to use a depth gage to measure my relief carving.  However some students are complete beginners and do not know how to "eye ball it".    Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 06:02:46 AM »
One more note of interest re: classes at Friendship 2019 - The controversial longrifle featured in the center fold of Oct. 2018 issue  Muzzle Blasts will be on display at the fall classes.  Your chance to get up and personal with what all the fuss was about.  The rifle has become known as: "My Masterpiece Rifle".      Hugh Toenjes

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 02:50:29 PM by Blacksmoke »
H.T.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 03:03:39 PM »
Should I bring my own gloves or do you supply those?

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 04:18:30 PM »
Since the rifle does not belong to me any more, I will have to check with the new owner if he will allow anyone to handle when on display.  My suspicions are that he will not .  However there will be gloves available if he will allow spectators to fondle it.
    Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 11:16:57 PM »
Hi Folks:  Those interested in the Friendship Fall classes - The latest announcement:  The silver wire class dated for Sept. 16 - 20
has been canceled due to insufficient participants.  However the gunstock relief carving class is going ahead as advertised.  Sept. 23rd. - 27th.  Those of you who are going,  do not forget any additional eye wear that you might need and a note pad for note taking. See you there, instructor,  Hugh Toenjes
H.T.