Author Topic: Smooth Bore Barrel Honing/Refreshing  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Mick C

Smooth Bore Barrel Honing/Refreshing
« on: August 18, 2019, 02:30:41 AM »
Hey y'all.  I traded for a Navy Arms Charleville Musket, something I have wanted since I was a kid.  Anyway, the barrel really needs a bit of refreshing.  It looks like the previous owner wasn't quite as meticulous about cleaning as I tend to be.  Anyway, I  know Bobby Hoyte is the go to person for re-boring/rifling but my question is would he also be the one to go to for a smoothbore honing out/refreshing or do you recommended anyone else in particular?   Thanks for any suggestions....Mick C
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Shovelbuck

Re: Smooth Bore Barrel Honing/Refreshing
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 03:37:41 AM »
I used one of these on an antique double barrel some years back. Worked great.

I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

Offline stikshooter

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 04:22:05 AM »
Call Bob early in the morning and ask, he does nice work and reasonable with quik turn around /717 642-6696  He rebores so what you want should be no problem /Ed

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 08:03:49 PM »
I have used the "stone"-abrasion brake cylinder hones, with about 3/4" stone for altering chokes on shotguns. Once the stones were worn out, I switched to 320 grit emery held on with fabric glue
which worked a treat.
The flex-hone would be much faster cutting, most likely - take care if doing this yourself.
Good video.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 08:19:49 AM »
Bobby is the best, cheapest, and can even jug choke it for you.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Mick C

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 07:56:35 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, guys!!   I think I might call Mr Hoyt first but the honing it myself method may be worth a try too.  The replies are very much appreciated....Mick
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!