Author Topic: Isaac Shelby (King's Mountain) Accoutrements  (Read 1353 times)

Offline Marcruger

Isaac Shelby (King's Mountain) Accoutrements
« on: August 18, 2019, 05:11:40 PM »
Hi Folks,  Thanks to Mel Hankla, (yay Mel!!) we were able to tour the Kentucky Historical Museum in Frankfort, KY during the CLA show.  I saw this display case and stopped in my tracks.  This is the gear of Isaac Shelby, of King's Mountain fame, through his descendants.  I though y'all might like to see it too.  That is a HONKING big powder horn.  I guess on long treks you needed a lot of powder available, with no resupply nearby.  His gear is all engraved with "IS".  I hope you enjoy these.   God Bless,   Marc   PS - Some history below the pictures. 

Isaac Shelby (December 11, 1750 – July 18, 1826) was the first and fifth Governor of Kentucky and served in the state legislatures of Virginia and North Carolina. He was also a soldier in Lord Dunmore's War, the American Revolutionary War, and the War of 1812. While governor, he led the Kentucky militia in the Battle of the Thames, an action that was rewarded with a Congressional Gold Medal. Counties in nine states, and several cities and military bases, have been named in his honor. His fondness for John Dickinson's The Liberty Song is believed to be the reason Kentucky adopted the state motto "United we stand, divided we fall".
Issac Shelby's military service began when he served as second-in-command to his father at the Battle of Point Pleasant, the only major battle of Lord Dunmore's War. He gained the reputation of an expert woodsman and surveyor and spent the early part of the Revolutionary War gathering supplies for the Continental Army. Later in the war, he and John Sevier led expeditions over the Appalachian Mountains against the British forces in North Carolina. He played a pivotal role in the British defeat at the Battle of Kings Mountain. For his service, Shelby was presented with a ceremonial sword and a pair of pistols by the North Carolina legislature, and the nickname "Old Kings Mountain" followed him the rest of his life.

Offline Brokennock

Re: Isaac Shelby (King's Mountain) Accoutrements
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 06:21:12 AM »
Excellent. Thank you very much for sharing.

Offline aaronc

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 04:27:47 PM »
That's some nice info and what an absolutely cool horn. Can't believe I missed that...thanks for posting.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline aaronc

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 04:59:17 PM »
Marc,..I thought I may add this to your thread. Really didn't think it warranted starting another. I didn't take many pics but did take one of this grouping. I had not been to the CLA since '14 and this display may be there every year and not new to most on here....but here it is. Best Regards, -Aaron

- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Mick C

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 08:30:49 PM »
Wow!!  Didn't know that Issac Shelby's gear was still intact much less on display.  Thank so much for sharing.  How big was the axe?  It looks similar to the Ft. Meigs head but a little beefier.....Mick C
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 05:42:02 PM »
I had intentions of going to see that display before going out to Wayne’s for the picnic...but best laid plans...

I’ll check it out the next time I’m in Frankfort. One of my fourth or fifth great-grandfathers was with Sevier at Kings Mountain. A lot of my family tree has roots in western North Carolina, and later, eastern Tennessee.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 12:54:21 AM »
Y'all do know that the Shelby house is still intact near Junction City, KY don't y'all?
Psalms 144